308 bullet for hogs???

I shot a meat sow @ 50 yards with a Speer Magtip 180gr out of a 30-06. Took out the lungs and heart but it ran uphill for at least 200 yards. Minimal blood shot meat on a through and through. Blood everywhere. Some of those pigs are tough and will take off running. Some will drop right on the shot. For shots less than 200 yards a 180gr Partition would be great. YMMV

Guides see people who can't shoot. 200 yards and in a 180 gr Nosler partition is recommended by this guide. It will certainly do the job.

Why consider long range, softer, boat tail, or target bullets that may work, but are not necessary. Certainly you don't need a boat tail or match grade accuracy for a less than 200 yard shot. Many are as much or more expensive than the recommend bullet.

I understand shooting a pig that present itself while pursuing other game or shooting steel. But, dead is dead with no fuss partitions. I have 10 one shot kills on plains game in Africa including 3 warthogs with 180 gr partitions in an 06. I might be prejudiced...

If you do your part any 150 gr SP will kill any hog that size that ever left a hoof print in the mud. All too often these guides are subjected to too many BAD shots is the reason that they suggest such heavy tough bullets because they want it to completely go through what ever is shot from any direction. I had a buddy that was given by his boss a hunting trip for BIG deer as a reward for his work. This place almost demanded that nothing less than a 7mm Rem mag be used. My buddy took his custom Rem 700 25-06 loaded up with the old Speer 120 Grand Slam bullets and took the one obligatory doe and 2 big bucks each with one shot. He never told them what he was using. My buddy said he could have used his standard 117 Sierra bullet with no problems.
This

My teenagers like to shoot'em with a SR4759 load in their 308 bolt guns - about 30-30 equivalent MV with a 150 ballistic tip. Mostly DRT.
Took 4 this weekend, three with 223 and one with a 9mm AR with a 147HST.
Texas heart shot works pretty sweet with a 223 - often makes them stop and think so you can put the next one in the ear.

I have shot hundreds of pigs with a 175 SMK out of a 18" 308 from 75 yards out to 800. I have waited and let them get lined up and have had numerous doubles, whatever shoots best in your rifle will be fine.

I haven't started loading anything up yet. Federal XM80c runs 2580 from the rifle. I am **thinking** of trying either 150 hornady SST or 150 Nosler BT. Maybe an interlock or partition is a better route. The outfitter said 200lbs is a big hog where they hunt and there won't be any shots taken past 200...
This one is a blast from the past...Since I started this thread I guess I'll update. I wasn't able to get my hands on any Nosler Partitions or Accubonds at the time locally. I've never played enough with the copper expanders to be comfortable with them. I wish someone would give me the rundown on how to select those sometime. The outfitter gave me a solid hell no on the 150 Nosler Ballistictip or 125 Hornady SST I had on the shelf that I had been using for local white tails.
He surprised me a bit when he suggested suggested running the 185g Berger Juggernaut, NOT the 185g VLD hunting bullet. First trip to the range I had powder charge and seating depth sorted out. Next trip I tried a few different primers and got that settled. I have used the 185g juggernaut for that hunt and everything else since that trip that I've used the 308 on since this hunt.
I appreciate reliably having an exit wound as most of the hunting I do with this rifle has been in or near to heavy cover. Only captured one bullet from a large boar, around 180 yards it penetrated and broke both shoulders and came to rest under the hide on the offside and retained all 185g. Everything else has had a nice 1-1/2" - 2" permanent exit wound and a nice blood trail.
I'm sure an equally sized accubond or partition would do pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure about what would be an appropriate choice in the copper expanders, again not my forte. I haven't had any reason to look at anything else though. My rifle shoots the 185g berger juggernaut as well as I can aim them and they've performed flawlessly on everything I've sent them into from as close as 10 feet to a little past 200 yards.
Hope this helps...

Too much emphasis is being payed to bullet type. Put any big game bullet (and probably any target bullet) on the front 1/3 of a hog and he's done. 223 rifles were getting the job done long before the popularity of 6.5 Creed and .308 pig guns.

Most of my daylight pig kills were made with a 45-70 just for the heck of it.

Man-up. Use a bow.

pRKA2vh.jpg

**runs away**

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.