Bullet for X-Bolt 308

mobenzowner

Not asking for load recipes specifically. Just wondering what grain bullet those of you with X-Bolt 308's are having best luck with. I have tried sierra 2145 165 grainers with imr4064, varget, Imr4895 and best I have got is a fraction under 1 moa. My gun has a pretty long throat I might add. Thinking of switching to the SGK 150's. Thoughts anyone?

Your X Bolt should shoot the 165 gr. SKG with the 1:12 twist. Maybe try R17 or H 4350 powder.

I have had good luck with the 168 amax out of the 308's ive developed. They have been easy to tune, and shoot well out to moderate range. you may give them a try if the SGK doesnt pan out.

Are the A-Max 168's or the Berger 168's longer than the 165 SGK? Sorry to ask but I visited their websites and couldnt find their length. I think my long throated X-Bolt might like them if they are longer.

I have an A-bolt in 308Win and it likes the Speer 165 grain BTSP bullets and it is long throated. It will shoot them into .25MOA on a good day regularly. I have only shot them at 100 yds. so far. I use IMR4064, my S-I-L has a Ruger American in this caliber and shoots this bullet over H4895 and gets .5 MOA with it.

I have an A-bolt in 308Win and it likes the Speer 165 grain BTSP bullets and it is long throated. It will shoot them into .25MOA on a good day regularly. I have only shot them at 100 yds. so far. I use IMR4064, my S-I-L has a Ruger American in this caliber and shoots this bullet over H4895 and gets .5 MOA with it.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate all the great recommendations you all have given me. Since your gun is also long throated, how far you away from the lands?

Kevin

Mobenzowner, I am jumping them about .200" as close as I can measure. I just seated them so that they would fit the magazine. I usually try to seat bullets .010" off the lands but this rifle and a Remingtion model 600 in 6mmRem I have to jump them a looong ways in order to fit the mags. Hope this helps. Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.