300Wby Vanguard what to do with it

Muddyboots

Can pick up one from a friend that won it. Shot 2 boxes thru it and recoil turned him off. So for $300 for a probably a 95% rated rifle, what would you do with it? 6.5 RPM? I have 300wsm, 300wm so another 300 not really needed but thought I'd see what thoughts are out there. So being isolated may be nice project. Leaning maybe toward .270 something. Thoughts?

Since it has a magnum bolt face, then I'd stick with a magnum cartridge to make things simpler. Ultimately it depends if you have a goal in mind or a niche you're looking to fill before really narrowing down your options. If you've looked into the 6.5 RPM, then another great cartridge to consider would be the old but good .264 Win Mag. There's still lots of brass available and it will do everything the RPM will do. The benefit is it is a magnum with the same bolt face as the .300 Weatherby so it will be simple to convert over to. A couple other options would be the 26 Nosler or 6.5x300 Weatherby. These really breath fire and will be 200+ FPS faster than the 6.5 RPM or .264 Win Mag. Obviously they'll have less barrel life and be hotter cartridges, but if that's what you want there's nothing wrong with either one if you understand their pros and cons. If you want something a little more milder but still has good performance, the 6.5 PRC would be a great choice. It will be 100FPS or so behind the 6.5 RPM and .264 Win Mag, but is proving to be an extremely accurate and great new cartridge.

I know you also mentioned possibly looking into a .270 of some sorts. Again, since you have the magnum bolt face, I'd be looking into the .270 WSM or the brand new 27 Nosler. Your bullet selection will be more limited with the .270, but you still have a some very good choices, especially if you go with a 1-8 twist.

A 300$ banquet gun. Green injection molded stock and sloppy trigger? If you are only going to change the barrel, make it a .340 Wby or a .338 WM and make it your moose hunting boat gun/bad weather mud gun. It would also make a great bait station bear gun, or loan to your brother-in-law or daughters boyfriend gun. You could even just leave it as the 3hundoBee for those reasons. It's great to have cheap gun like that you can who-er out. And if you keep it an abusive cartridge you'll always be sure to get it back. 🙈 🙉 🙊

After thinking about it overnight, I probably will pass on it. I really need (want) an updated .270 build with 26" barrel, 1:8, 5R, longer throat for the BC bullets that are now available and whatever is coming out down the road. If it was a LA 700 or Savage 110 it would be in my safe right now. The 270Wby does intrigue me but if I really think it over, I have enough "boomers" to get that job done. Yes, it is a great loaner gun but I really don't loan so what's the point?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Can pick up one from a friend that won it. Shot 2 boxes thru it and recoil turned him off. So for $300 for a probably a 95% rated rifle, what would you do with it? 6.5 RPM? I have 300wsm, 300wm so another 300 not really needed but thought I'd see what thoughts are out there. So being isolated may be nice project. Leaning maybe toward .270 something. Thoughts?
what about a fast twist 270 weatherby

I like Jug 96 idea of making a 270 WSM out of it. Could always put a mercury recoil reducer and and a good minni brake on it. Possibly a little trigger work.

You can send it back to Weatherby and they will rebarrel it, pretty inexpensively... cheaper than your smith by several hundred dollars. Before you pass, call the Weatherby shop and check it out. lots of calibers available
After thinking about it overnight, I probably will pass on it. I really need (want) an updated .270 build with 26" barrel, 1:8, 5R, longer throat for the BC bullets that are now available and whatever is coming out down the road. If it was a LA 700 or Savage 110 it would be in my safe right now. The 270Wby does intrigue me but if I really think it over, I have enough "boomers" to get that job done. Yes, it is a great loaner gun but I really don't loan so what's the point?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Go with the 257 Weatherby. Brass is easy to find, and it is an ultra flat shooting round. It was Roy Weatherby's favorite.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.