300rum Load help

Outdoor Rush

Hey guys i am new to this site and also new to rifle hunting. I am a bow hunter through and through but recently i purchased a Remington 700 in 300rum. I know it is ridiculous but i really want to shoot the 168gr VLD berger bullets out of this gun. Yea Yea i know i should have bought a 7mm or 300win but i got the 300 rum for a steal. So far i have emailed berger and got starting loads for this set up but i was wondering if anyone has and expierence with these loads out of a RUM? I bought H1000 and retumbo powder so far with remington brass and fed 215m primers. Thank you for any help!!

jake

I shot the 168s out of my rum and lost the barrel in 400 rounds. The retumbo powder can list the 180 grain with 100 or 101 grns of powder. I would say that is a good place to start. That said, if you are shooting over say 600 yards, I would use at least a 180 to get your B.C. up. I liked the 210 berger or the 208 Amax with 96 grains of retumbo at 3150 fps. Barrel life is short in a 300 rum if you push the lighter bullets fast. Just my 11/2 cents worth. Jeff

P.S. Rifle was a sendero.

I don't shoot the bergers because I have been told with the bergers you have to load them so that the bullet touches the rifling, therefore this turns your rifle into a single shot.....but I have found great accuracy with the nosler accubond bullets. The 200 grn bullets shoot very well and pushing 3000 fps. I recently tried the 180 accubonds and got even better results and pushing 3200fps. All groups are five shots. The best group out of my RUM came from 91.0 grns of RL 25 powder, 9-1/2 M Magnum primers and an OAL of 3.643. The group was .43 MOA at 100 yrds. Of course every gun is different but I hope this helps. My opion and its just an opion but I look for the slowest burning powder possible on the large case capacity cartidges and I look for the most load density possible.. I think that the 180 load above is 96%? 95.0 grns of the same powder is 102%, this also shot very well..Good Luck and hold on........

Elkslayerjc

Been shooting 300RUM since '99, first year of the ultra. Killed dozens of big game. Used IMR, RL, and Hodgdon powders. Tried sierra, barnes, hornady,and nosler. Up until this year my combo for speed, accuracy and energy was Imr-4350 and 180 nosler partition-a deadly combination. But my newest, best and favorite load is as follows: Remington brass trimmed to 2.840,180gr.Nosler Accubond bullet seated at 3.668",just enough to fit in the mag., CCI-250 primer(primers are less important than the rest as long as you get a good seal) and 98gr. Retumbo powder. Most sites recommend starting a certain percentage less than max and working up. I start at max, watch for pressure signs, and work down. Maybe not the best way of doing things but get the absolute most out of a round. This load was decided upon after MANY rounds of trial and error, using a variety of all of the above. As you have probably read, all guns like a certain amount of this or that. Just saying that this may work for you. Chrono showed average of 3450fps at 10 ft. Energy is 4750 ft.lbs. I enjoy long range-so this combo is still packs a whallop, even at 500 yds. the bullet only drops 26" with +2" at 100yds. And the energy is still 2475 ft.lbs. Oh, and did I say that the group is only 1/2 moa at 100. So, whatever you decide on, at least consider trying Nosler-whether it be Accubonds or partitions. Last year-Nebraska-161 whitetail-405yds:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.