300 WSM build question

ka30270

So I am getting ready to have my first custom rifle built and I am leaning toward a 300 WSM. I want to shoot the 210-215 Bergers and I want to keep the velocity up around 3000 fps. If I build on a long action, have the throat cut a little deeper to allow for more powder space in the case, and run a 26" barrel can I make this happen? I guess I am looking for 300 Win Mag performance from a beltless case. I have read multiple threads about the 300 WM vs 300 WSM but they all seem to be referring to short actions with 24" barrels for the WSM.

Thanks to all that reply.

Here is my opinion:

I have a factory 300WSM and 3000fps with a 210 would not be comfortable for me. By a pretty wide margin.

As far as going with a long throat, remember that the 300WSM is short necked - you will get some benefit this way but maybe not as much as you think.

If you look at published load data, 3000fps is going to be above what most publish by a fair margin. Even going 28" may not get you there comfortably.

If 3Kfps is your goal, my opinion is to go with a cartridge that will get you there more easily (ie not totally redlined). That will give you more flexibility to get the accuracy you want. OR- get a WSM, "settle" on lower velocity with great accuracy, and I would bet you can still get it to do what you want in a practical sense - you'll never miss that 100fps...

3000 is asking for too much with a 26" 300 WSM and a 210/215. Heck, that's a lot to ask from a similarly equipped a 300 WM. That being said, you can push a 200 grain AB at 2900, and a 210 at around 2850 without a lot of trouble. I've driven the 210s at 2830 out of a 24" tube with a stout charge of 7828ssc. If you're planning to work with 215s you may want to consider building it on a long action. The nose on the 215 is significantly longer than the 210 and might cause COAL problems for magazine feed depending on which action you use.

3000fps is too much for a 300WSM driving 210s.

You would be happier with a 28" unless of course this is a hunting rifle that you are going to pack for miles then a 26" to shed a little weight. I recommend a fluted sendoro profile for either length and a brake optional. It is what I have.

With a WSM vs. WM you are giving up ~50fps or nothing at all depending on the rifle/barrel/load.

Questions:
1) What is the rifle for?
2) Why is 3000fps a magic number
3) Why 210 or 215 Bergers?

I shoot 300WSM at ~2750 with 208 A-Max
I shoot 300RUM at ~3066 with 210 VLD

I would build a new 300WSM in a heart beat and I would use a long action next time as I get frustrated with removing the bolt to remove a live round. However I hunt with mag length and target with what what works best for me.

I prefer building on Weatherby actions. Vanguard (they are not Howa's) and Mark V.

A 700 based action is fine. It's cheaper to buy a Vanguard new as a donor. No 'tuning' required.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.