300 WSM, hammer hunter 181, build questions

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. With the design of the hammer. The bearing surface is ONLY the ribbed portion correct? No jokes please fellas 😉

I tried and tried to like the hammer hunters. Couldn't get them to shoot better than about .75-1 MOA. They performed well on game at close range but they were too long for my WSM. You would need a custom reamer to be able to seat those bullets long enough to not take up too much powder capacity. Even the 169s were just too long for my WSM.
Try the 174 Hammer Hunters, they were made for rifles with short mags and don't mind "jumping" at all…

That badlands bullet really long. Once again can't tell the bearing surface but did you use a SAAMI spec reamer?

Yes, it's 1.650" in length.

No, this bullet, like so many of the heavy for caliber and lathe turned solids, are too long for the SAAMI reamer. I usually buy a custom throating reamer for projects like this so I can experiment with different throat lengths and bullets. Mine is set up in the XM magazine length of 3.200" minus a few thousandths for feeding. It works just fine and does not require a long action.

The SAAMI reamer was designed for specific uses, but not for the heavy for caliber and solid bullets. When you work within the parameters of the SAAMI reamer you have a very useful hunting cartridge.