.300 WSM Question

kshunter

Does any one have any experience with using a 300 WSM for LRH/S ? Will 208 A-maxes or 210 berger vld's affect case capacity? I'm thinking about re-barreling my savage 110 to this caliber. Will a std. magnum bolt face work? Just looking for some input from you guys that have experience with this round. What powder combos seem to work for you and what kind of velocity could I expect with the above bullets out of a 26in tube?

Something to consider in selecting a 300 WSM for Long Range Hunting & Shooting is that most manufactures put it in a short action so there's not enough room for Very Low Drag heavy bullets.

That's why the 300 Win Mag, 300 Dakota, and 300 Norma Mag make more sense to me for LRH/S.
Those are all 2.5 inch cases usually* used with 3.6" magazines. That's room for 1.1 inches of bullet outside of the case. The SAAMI spec for a 300 WSM is 2.86" OAL in a 2.09" case. That's only 0.77" of bullet outside of the case.

What distance each person considers "Long Range" to be should be considered in their decision.

* the 300 Win Mag and 300 Dakota SAAMI length is only 3.34". They're limited too at that length.

The 300WSM is one of my favorite rounds,but lacks extra case capacity.The 300 Win Mag has the extra capacity and would be a better choice.

For the record a 300 win mag is not a 2.5" case, the 264 and 338 win mag are 2.5" cases the 300 is longer at 2.62" and the 308 norma mag comes in at 2.56", to answer your question the 300wsm is a great design and if its put on a long action with .080"-.120" extra throat that will allow you to get the 210 bergers and 208 amax's up out of the powder space and 2950fps+ is doable with RE17, Imr4350, H4831, RE19, Imr4831, Hybrid 100v, and MRP, and it makes an excellent choice that way. I'm partial to the win mag and weatherby myself but the wsm is very efficient.

I shoot the 208 bthp out of my tikka COL 2.90 at 2950 fps using rl 17 64 gr. it shoots geat and i have made shots out to 1100 yds on steel.

I agree with what has been stated there are better choices for a long range gun but it shoots great and the recoil is mild.

Thanks for the info guys. This confirmed my notion about using this round I know there are better rounds out there but I'm just looking for something a little different to experiment with. Since I'm shooting a 30-06 right now which I really like I'm just looking for something a step up from that to push those heavier bullets a little faster. I just didn't know if the WSM cartridge would be any faster because I hear some guys are getting 2700 fps with 208 Amaxes out of the 06 with 26 in tube and. R22. But since I have a long action and can seat bullets way out sounds like it could be pretty fast and efficient!

Does any one have any experience with using a 300 WSM for LRH/S ? Will 208 A-maxes or 210 berger vld's affect case capacity? I'm thinking about re-barreling my savage 110 to this caliber. Will a std. magnum bolt face work? Just looking for some input from you guys that have experience with this round. What powder combos seem to work for you and what kind of velocity could I expect with the above bullets out of a 26in tube?

The 175 VLD and 178 A-Max will stay supersonic past 1000yds so why do you need to use the 200+grain bullets?

Even in my 308 I'm shooting those two bullets supersonic past 1000yds and thats so far out there that you need to be an expert at reading conditions such as wind to even hit anything, let alone hunt with.

With the 300WSM those same bullets will be supersonic even further.

Just my opinion but the 300WSM with either of those will shoot much better than most of us can aim them. A slight increase in BC won't compensate for any REAL problem.

If you HAVE to push those bigger ones use the 300WM it will fit into a 110 action as it is long enough...

Dave

Short answer for last post 178amax .495bc 208amax .648 bc so at 1000yrds you have twice the energy and half the wind drift, (inturn easier to shoot accurately at that distance) if 178amax were awesome in a 308 I guess all the IBS shooters would have to trade in there 300wm with 210 bergers and sling a few with a 308.

As for long range shooting capability, the 300WSM broke the 1000 yard record in 2010. Don't know if the record still holds, but it was a 10-shot Heavy Gun world record of 2.815 inches. I'd say that's enough reason for me to want to shoot it.

Remember what is still sometimes said about the .308, .30/06,,,,,,, "what ever the the .308 will do, the .30/06 will do just that much better". I'd say the same about the WSM and the .300WinMag.

Last edited:
I use mine with 208amaxs and it shoots great. I dont understand the deal with putting short action rounds in a long action. Why would you run a 300wsm in an action that you could run a 300rym in and out run it by 300fps or better?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts