Custom 300 WSM bullet question

Blkz06

I have a Moon built 300 WSM on the way...Bartlein barrel (GAP 6), Big Horn action, barrel 1:10. I handload all my stuff so everything is flexible.

I plan on hunting Elk and larger with this gun...any suggestions for bullet weight and type? I am partial to Berger, Hornady, and Barnes in no particular order. If I use one more than the other, I would say Barnes.

I was thinking along the lines of 180 grains...but I see a lot of guys using 190 and 200 grain bullets in the 300 WSM with excellent results out to 700 yards.

Any feedback or suggestions?

My 300 WSM loves the Nosler 180 Accubond and the 180 ballistic tips. The Nosler bullets have a better BC than the Barns and usually buy you another 100 yards.

The Noslers like either H4350 and RL-22 in my rifle.

For long range though, I load it with 210 VLD and RL-17

My 300 WSM loves the Nosler 180 Accubond and the 180 ballistic tips. The Nosler bullets have a better BC than the Barns and usually buy you another 100 yards.

The Noslers like either H4350 and RL-22 in my rifle.

For long range though, I load it with 210 VLD and RL-17

Thanks! I have not used the Nosler bullets but I hear many guys like them. Good to see it is working well for you.

I'm using 208 A-Max but not for hunting and my target load is much slower than I could use for hunting.

There are lots of heavies that you can get to very decent fps easy. 210 VLD is one.

Lots like the 190 Nosler ABs. Sounds good but I'm from Copperfornia so...

I'm going to work in a copper load. It shoots Federal Premium TSX 165 factory loads very well but I may go 180 TTSX for it if I can get the RUM to like the 200 LRX.

I believe anything over 180 grains, however with that said a fellow hunter with me last year took a bull with a 168 grain Berger. Bang flop.

I personally have had success with 185 grain Berger Hybrids and 180 grain Accubond.

My friend's 300 WSM uses the Berger 230 hybrid seated deeply to fit a 2.8" box magazine. It is accurate at 2720 fps using RL-17. It did a fine double lung with exit on a cow elk last fall at 300 yds. Cow took a couple of stutter steps and collapsed.

If I were to load for a new 300 WSM I would choose the Berger 215 hybrid. Read Broz's thread showing detailed description of conditions with pictures of animals killed with the 215 hybrid and you will be sold.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

Does the Berger library list the best performing powders and specs like Barnes?

I need to get a chrono, but with Barnes at least you have a MV to plug in to my software to play with the performance of each weight.

I've got a couple good loads for my WSM. The first is with a 210 VLD seated just off the lands which is extremely effective for LR running at 2870 fps in my 26" bbl. My other favorite is also great for LR and it's the 200 grain Accubond running 2925 fps. This is my preferred load if I expect my shots to be less than 400 yards.

I run both loads with IMR 7828ssc because it produces excellenty velocity with great temp stability.

I've got a couple good loads for my WSM. The first is with a 210 VLD seated just off the lands which is extremely effective for LR running at 2870 fps in my 26" bbl. My other favorite is also great for LR and it's the 200 grain Accubond running 2925 fps. This is my preferred load if I expect my shots to be less than 400 yards.

I run both loads with IMR 7828ssc because it produces excellenty velocity with great temp stability.

How is the accuracy?

My Dakota 300 WSM likes 165 sirocco with R-15 and 180 A Frame with R-22/MRP. This is the most finicky barrel I have ever owned.

I have a Moon built 300 WSM on the way...Bartlein barrel (GAP 6), Big Horn action, barrel 1:10. I handload all my stuff so everything is flexible.

I plan on hunting Elk and larger with this gun...any suggestions for bullet weight and type? I am partial to Berger, Hornady, and Barnes in no particular order. If I use one more than the other, I would say Barnes.

I was thinking along the lines of 180 grains...but I see a lot of guys using 190 and 200 grain bullets in the 300 WSM with excellent results out to 700 yards.

Any feedback or suggestions?

I am currently working a load on a friend 300WSM for a late Utah bull hunt.
We are still in the testing phase.
Currently using 185gr Berger hunting VLD
@3025 fps using 67.5gr of superformance powder.
We are reachhing up to 700yds with great ease and consistently.

I have used 165gr. Barnes in my 300 win. on big bulls with great success.
Speed helps Barnes perform on elk.

gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.