300 WSM, 338 WinMag

Shane Lindsey

Good day long gunners,

I am looking to get a "bigger" game rifle and have a line on a 338 winmag that I may be able to get a good deal on.

I bought a 270 Sendero a few years back and it just doesn't have the "umpf" I'm looking for. I bought it out of emotion rather than research. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to be able to use it on all big game in North America to include some day, Dall Sheep, Brown Bear, Moose, etc...(you know when I win the lottery).

Can you all give me some guidance. I am not necessarily set on getting either of these, however this is what I have been contemplating. If any of you have better thoughts, please share.

Thanks
Shane

The 338 winchester is probably the best all around rifle made for hunting all North American game, particularly if you don't want a muzzle brake. I just finished an Alaska safari with mine and I was very pleased with it. From grizzly to dall sheep to caribou and moose it is an excellent choice. Mine is a tikka t-3 light that weighs 7 1/2 pounds scoped out and deadly accurate to 800 yards without a brake.

(If intent is LRH primarily):

The 270 will work on just about all NA game except for your bigger bears. Plenty of moose have died from .277 bullets. Unless of course you plan on intentionally taking "long" shots on every hunt you can. Then, yes, I can see where you would want more energy downrange.

The 338WM is a good diameter but not really considered a "long range" caliber by many.

If you don't want to make a another mistake (which I respectfully disagree regarding the 270), then you should also dismiss the 338WM as well. Not enough umph there either in terms of powder charge.

If you want a rifle that will bring confidence in most situations then consider the bigger 338s:

338-378
338 Edge
338 Lapua
338 RUM

Personally I'd go 338 Lapua with a 30" tube and buy 500 rounds of Lapua brass. You will be set for life.

(If intent is general hunting):

338 WM is hard to beat

Not sure if you are a reloader or not, but the 270 loaded correctly works well. But if not, then I understand the "umph" issue. There are some really good bullets out there now that make the 338WM a real threat. Should you choose that caliber, get a premium 225grn bullet and have at it. There are some really good bullets from GS, Cutting Edge Bullets, Hornady SST's, and there's one more, but can't think of them. They are pretty pricey though. LTLR knows what they are. He suggested them to me. If you really want to hit hard, then step up to the RUM, EDGE, Norma Mag, or Lapua.

Tank

Liltank, The 225 grain rocky mountain bullet at .773 BC and the 225 nosler AB at .55 make the 338 win mag a 1000 yard killer.Those are two I would add to your list. The 225 grain bullets with high BC's at over 2900 fps do well at anything but extreme ranges beyond 1000 yards. This year I used the new 185 grain Barnes TTSX at 3220 fps in Alaska and was very pleased with it. I now have it deadly to 800 yards.

Derek, The 338 winchester is far beyond the 270 winchester at any range. I hunt Alaska every year and no way I am carrying a 270 where I see big bears daily. The 338 winchester will put them down if I need to. I like the 270 as you do and own two in 270 winchester and two in 270 wby. They are good rifles but I would not choose them as a one rifle for everything. I have taken several caribou to 800 yards and a moose at 1100 yards with no problem using the 338 winchester. It hits way harder at long range than a 270.

I agree the bigger 338's are better but they all require a brake to shoot accurately and require a little heavier rifle that some don't like. If that is not a problem then the bigger the better. That is why most of my hunting has been done with a 338-378 wby for many years. Because it outperforms everything else. But I paid the price with additional weight and must always have time to put in my earplugs before I shoot. The 338 winchester will flatten anything without some of these extra issues. If the extra issues are not a problem then I agree go big.

I guess we just need more info really as to what Shane's parameters are. I put in another post last week if I had to pick one over the counter rifle to hunt all over North America with for the rest of my life it would be a tikka t-3 light in 338 winchester or a 338 RUM in remington 700. I have both and they get a lot of work. I also own and hunt with about everything else out there and enjoy them all for different reasons. Shane looked like he wanted one to do it all so that is why I went this way.

Derek, The 338 winchester is far beyond the 270 winchester at any range. I hunt Alaska every year and no way I am carrying a 270 where I see big bears daily. The 338 winchester will put them down if I need to. I like the 270 as you do and own two in 270 winchester and two in 270 wby. They are good rifle

Of course it is. Take another look at my post. I'm in total agreement. My 270 comments were made with regard to it simply being a mistake in and of itself. And I would never suggest toting a 270 in big bear country.

I would go with some kind of 338, your 270 properly loaded and maximized will handle any lighter animals just fine even for longer ranges, the 300 WSM gives you a little more but not enough to cover what you listing. I'm not a huge 338 win fan but most of my experience has been with elk and guys who think that a 338 gives them a license to shoot them where ever, shot placement is still important!

Derek, no problem, Like I said I like my 270's also. Killed an elk at 1100 yards with my 270 wby that Sniper2 on here owns now. I just went with 338 winchester over the 300 wsm because of alaska and big bears since those are the two he listed. We all just need more info from Shane as to what weight rifle he wants and if he wants an over the counter one.

Thanks for all the imput...Now I am completely overwhelmed.

As a Marine I have spent my time carrying the 14 pounder and then again the 18 pounder. I am not a fan of "hunting" with a rifle that heavy. My Sendero is about 9 and that is almost more than I want. I understand why we go heavy, it just sucks...I of course would love to spend the $$$ on a 338 Edge or Lapua, but I am going to be lugging that thing around potentially through the mountains. That is more than I want to carry. I really am looking for a lightweight that I will put a brake or port the muzzle.

What if I just rechambered the 270 for a 30-06? Any 06 fans. I am really trying to get into this long range hunting. As a Marine we learn ballistics of a 308 and that is it. (again that is why I jumped on the 270). I want to buy/build an all around mountain rifle that will ACCURATELY and with enough energy to do it all. Am I asking too much? Maybe a Sendero type in a 338 may be the answer, if they make one.

Heck no you are not asking too much. And yes, I am a big time 30.06 fan. In fact, I'll be taking mine to KY on Saturday for KY opener.

With what you are wanting, I think the perfect rifle for you is a 338 Win Mag. Take a look at Savage. They have done all the right things and frankly, their factory rifles shoot extremely well. I borrowed an outfitters 338 WM in a Winchester and it was a breeze to shoot. No muzzle brake either.

If you are looking at a future build, I think it is safe to say that the Hart barrel has been a proven shooter for the 338 edge.

If you are going to rechamber the 270, the 30.06 is a great choice, but you might as well consider a 338-06 also.

I don't see why you don't work on the 270 if your thinking about an 06. At the elevations I shoot elk I would not even hesitate at 600yrds and at some spots I would take it to 800yrds. Why not save your time and money and shoot the heck out of that 270 and learn how to long range shoot with it, then you'll have a good idea what direction works for you. My buddy shoot a 270 win and with booger speer 130gr bullets he's taken elk out just past 500yrds with no need to shoot them twice, now take that and load a long range bullet and you can see that you can reach out there a ways. The way I look at it your in long range hunting already but just don't know it or have been talked out of it with the 270 win.

Almost forgot, remember to re chamber you have to stick with a 270 cal like say a 270 Gibbs or set the barrel back a bit and go 270 WSM, if you re barrel then really step up and rock a 338 RUM or EDGE.

Last edited:
338WM with 225grn bullets or the 300WSM with 190 or heavier pills. A perfect trade off for the two of them in my opinion. You could also load the 338WM with a 250grn match bullet that would do wonders but the velocity will be between 2550 and 2675 depending on barrel length. This will definitely get you to 1000yrds, but with a bullet this heavy make sure you have a break. The 200 Accu-bond, 208 A-max, or 210 Berger would be my picks for the 300WSM. I currently use the 210's.

Tank

Shane,
About three years ago I found myseld in similar shoes, wanting a very heavy-hitting light weight-ish rifle that was capable to 1000 yards or further. I did a bunch of research and listened to LongTimeLongRanger alot, as well as many other respected members of this forum. I settled on a .338 RUM and I couldnt be happier. While I think that the .338 Win would work, the Rum is better by a fair margin. Admitidlly I havent shot many animals at long range (whitetale doe at 500 yards), The gun works for eveything. It is a suprisingly good shooter for what it is and is under 10lbs i think (as I have never weighed it). I am confident to 750 yards on game, but the gun can do more than I can.
It is a Remmy 700 XCR, bedded and modified stock. It wears a Harris Bi-Pod and a Mark 4 4.5-14 M1. It is braked and has a pachmyer decelerator pad, but I almost think it doesnt need the brake if I shot 225's instead of 210',225's and 300's. I've taken on pretty hard hike in hunts and found it about perfect.
If you dont want to go with the RUM then I would go with whatever you get a good deal on. Either will work.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts