300 WSM-300 Win Mag: Accuracy, Load tuning, Case life.

stanley52

Ok so does the 300 WSM have an actual noticeable accuracy advantage over the 300 win mag? Does the 300 Win Mag get a higher case life due to it operates at (generally) lower pressures? Is there an actual felt recoil difference amongst them? Is one harder to tune loads for than the other? Is one of them harder to load for in general (aside from brass availability)? Thanks for the input.

Both are potentially accurate cartridges and have been used in BR competition. Every rifle will have it's own personality and may like certain powder, primer, bullet combos over others. Good custom builds will be less finicky, especially with heavier barrels.

You should have excellent case life with Norma brass. I have used it and it holds up very well.

They are the same in a long action.
In a short action the Winchester has a significant advantage with the 230 Vlds.

The 300Win is about the most agreeable chamber you could ever want to shoot. H-1000, H-4831, RL-22, IMR 4350, IMR 4831 are all fully capable of shooting bugholes. With H1000, H-4831, and RL-22 the 300Win shoots best wide open and if you want "magnum velocity" these are the powders to start with.

Both are great rounds, but I prefer the standard 300Win.

In a short action the Winchester has a significant advantage with the 230 Vlds. /QUOTE]

What do you mean by this exactly? I thought WSM was limited to 180-190gr projectiles because of the limited magazine space unless you get a Wyatt or alpha mag system (or a defiance XM) in a SA?

I mean to say, "In a short action the Winchester has a significant disadvantage with the 230 Vlds

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.