300 win mag barrel life

300win

I have shot 300 win mag for many years but have never pushed one as in f class shooting. Shooting 20 rounds plus sighters in 10 minutes or so means alot of barrel heat. I have a lilja 4 groove 29" 1-10 twist 1.25" sraight barrel. How many accurate rounds can you expect? I have shot the rifle in 3 events and done very well. Just wondering the long term affects of this fast paced shooting with a 300 win mag?Thanks

Barts right on the money. 1200 is pretty average, you might get to 1500 if youre lucky. Slower paced shooting, and careful cleaning will get you some more, but neither of those "always" fit into the world of organized competition... especially palma/fclass.

300win-I do a lot of shooting with the 7 Mashburn Super,the 300 win and wby and the 340 wby.

I tend not to be kind to them and figure on things going south somewhere around 1700 rounds to 2K.

Good luck to ya

Mark D

Barts right on the money. 1200 is pretty average, you might get to 1500 if youre lucky. Slower paced shooting, and careful cleaning will get you some more, but neither of those "always" fit into the world of organized competition... especially palma/fclass.

I know this an old post but If you speak to Todd Hodnet on the subject he likes to leave his barrels dirty- only cleans the carbon and leaves as much of the copper as possible. The copper helps lubricate the barrel. Thus giving you longer barrel life. Carbon is what pits your barrel anyway. Unless you have copper coming out the end of the barrel he won't remove it. He addresses it in "Art of the Precision Rifle" from MagPul.
He says that he shoots 338s extensively in his classes and gets over 3000 rounds.
Most hunters like light fast moving bullets and they are harder on your barrel than heavy, slower bullets. The biggest factor is obviously what you shoot and how you shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts