300 WM question

digger

I apologize ahead of time if this has been done to death, but I have a new to me 300WM LR rig. It is a Rem 700, 27" Broughton barrel, 5.5 contour, Jewell trigger, Badger oversize recoil lug bedded into a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. Leupold Mark IV 6.5 -20 with TMR. It is previously owned, and the load that was used in it is

Hornady Brass
Berger 210 VLD
77.0 grs H1000
CCI Mag Primer
Seated 3.615

This load works well, shoots just over 1/2 MOA.

I have several hundred 210 VLD's and lots of H1000 and primers, but want to switch to Norma Brass, only because I've heard so much good about it, and the Hornady brass I have is about halfway through its useful life. Anyone have any load suggestions for me to start with in Norma brass? Any opinions on whether the switch to Norma would be an improvement or not over the Hornady are welcome as well, Thanks

Back down the charge to 74 gr and work back up. I am not familiar with the case volume of Hornaday, but I know the Norma is among the larger ones. I feel you will work right back up to 77 with no issues. The Norma is good brass but on the softer side. Expect some loosening in primer pockets by 5 or 6 firings. Velocity will be good and from your barrel I will say you will be close to 2900 fps.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.