A question about 300 WM MV's and primers

Brett Bracken

I have been working on developing a new load for my 300 WM using 220 gr ELD-X bullets and R-22 powder. According to the Hornady reloading manual the max load for that combination is 71.3 grs using Winchester Large magnum rifle primers. According to the manual this load should produce close to 2800 fps MV. I went through the whole OCW process and it just so happens that 71.3 grs produced the best results. Next I went through Berger's seating depth process and found that a .050" jump was the best. Finally, I took some test shots at 834 yds and according to my Kestrel I needed around 20 MOA of elevation (can't remember the exact number) which sounded reasonable to me since my Berger 210 VLD hunting load requires about 18.75 MOA elevation at that distance. So I dialed in 20 MOA "up" elevation and holy cow.....I was impacting close to 2 feet high. After shooting several rounds and making "down" adjustments accordingly, working the POI down, I was down to around 16.50 MOA elevation, if my memory serves me correctly. How could that be with a heavier bullet? I eventually ran out of loads with the Winchester primers and had to switch over to some that I had loaded with Federal Gold Medal magnum match primers.....same load though. Same results....shooting much higher than my Berger 210 gr VLD's which supposedly have a MV of 2904, according to my Kestrel. With the new loads my Kestrel was telling me that my MV was 3030 fps. That just didn't seem right so I checked the MV with my Magnetospeed chrono and got 2959, 2957 and 2958 fps (3 shots). I would have shot more but didn't have enough.

I guess my real question is....do those MV's seem possible with that heavy of a bullet out of a 300WM? Has anyone else noticed discrepancies between Kestrel MV's and chrono MV's i.e. the Kestrel MV's are higher than actual chrono MV's? And then my final question has to do with the FGMMM primers......has anyone else noticed elevated MV's using them verses the Winchester primers?

I would appreciate any input.

Brett

Too many factors not included your report.
What's your setup?
Is the berger load a max load?
Brass manufacturer?
3K is tough to do in a 300WM without a longer barrel or over pressure.

I run the 215 Berger right at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux with H1000. Federal GM215M primer. It's getting close to max in my gun. Shoots extremely well. I'm using a fair bit more H1000 to get there than your load however.

As far as my setup...I using a Deviant Tactical receiver with 26" Bartlein barrel (MTU contour).
Using Nosler brass
My Berger 210 load is 71.2 grs of R-22 which is the max load according to the Berger manual.

I had 215 bergers going 2980fps with H1000 and 215 primers out of a 26" 5r barrel. But I was using like 77.6 grains I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.