300 WM, Peterson and Winchester

MW204

I scored some Peterson 300 WM long brass, yea for me, and 8# of Win 760 powder, yea for me again. The powder arrived yesterday, so far no notice from Graf's yet on when my brass will be here.
My question to y'all is this.
I've never loaded for the 300 WM, 300 WSM yes, I'm shooting a Rem 700 with a 24" factory barrel (sporter at least for now) so what are some of your favorite loads using the Win 760 and bullet in the 180gr size?
I'll be shooting targets for fun out to 400 yds, that's my max range limit, and Nebraska WT & MD in the fall.

Attachments

• Win 760 score.jpg
    Win 760 score.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 64
Here is a link to a list of manufacturers data where you can find the combinations you're looking for:

https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/300-winchester-magnum/

It takes some scrolling but it's there, I looked.

Enjoy!

:)
I took a look, you're right there's not much for that powder and what there is exactly as you said, so I'll probably start with something else and see how it develops.
I'm still glad I got the 760, if things get any worse at least I have something I can use.

I took a look, you're right there's not much for that powder and what there is exactly as you said, so I'll probably start with something else and see how it develops.
I'm still glad I got the 760, if things get any worse at least I have something I can use.
And at a bare minimum, you now have trade bait if you find someone else that has what you are really hoping to get and just happens to need the 760.

Fortunately, this scenario happens all the time.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Hodgdon's Reloading Center https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
has loads for 180gn E-tip and 180gn Speer MT-SP(?). Both using Winchester LRM primers and from a 24" barrel.
E-Tip: OAL: 3.340"
60.0gn2,760fps56,000 PSI62.8gn2,849fps60,600 PSI

Speer: OAL: 3.285"
58.0gn2,722fps48,200 CUP62.0gn2,845fps52,300 CUP

Hopefully this will get you started with the brass and primers that you have. Good luck and be safe.

Hodgdon's Reloading Center https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center
has loads for 180gn E-tip and 180gn Speer MT-SP(?). Both using Winchester LRM primers and from a 24" barrel.

Hopefully this will get you started with the brass and primers that you have. Good luck and be safe.
Thank you.

Thank you.

Fellow North Texan - take care with W760. It is not the most temp stable powder you can shoot - so just be careful of pushing max velocity with springtime load development and then continuing work on it into summer temperatures here.

While I've used 760 before, I was using Winchester brass so my loads won't work in your Peterson brass. Since you are open to trying other powders, I primarily use Magnum in my 300WM with H1000 as an alternative. I would also recommend the 180g Accubond for your factory barrel. That combination is the best I've found and will do well under an inch all day long in my rifle. YMMV. Good luck.

Given your hunting range and components I would load the 124g Hammer Hunter. With Peterson brass I am hoping you can get to about 3800 fps. You would be able to zero this at 400y and be inside a 5" kill zone for anything closer. I haven't run the numbers but guessing you would be closer to holding a 3" radius kill zone to your max of 400y.

Fellow North Texan - take care with W760. It is not the most temp stable powder you can shoot - so just be careful of pushing max velocity with springtime load development and then continuing work on it into summer temperatures here.

I'll heed your warning.

While I've used 760 before, I was using Winchester brass so my loads won't work in your Peterson brass. Since you are open to trying other powders, I primarily use Magnum in my 300WM with H1000 as an alternative. I would also recommend the 180g Accubond for your factory barrel. That combination is the best I've found and will do well under an inch all day long in my rifle. YMMV. Good luck.
Thanks. I got the 760 because it was the first thing that I've used in the past that I've been able to find. There are a lot of powders that I wished was in that 760 can.

Well guys my Peterson 300 WM Long brass gold got in today, the Peterson Brass looks like they do excellent work and I can't wait to start working up some loads, but my rifle is off getting a new blue job so it'll still be a week or so. The nice thing about the blue job, there's a gunsmith school not far from here, and a guy I know is enrolled & local so I can pass it off to him and get it back. They give discount work for the students so my blue job (I've had some done before and they do great work) will not only look good it won't cost me an arm and leg either.

Attachments

• Peterson Brass.jpg
    Peterson Brass.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 42