Winchester Laredo 300 WM

Happ571

Ok, this is my first post on here so I hope I do this right, I have a Win Laredo 300 Wm and I would like to rebarrel it, I have looked at Lilja, Krieger, Badger & Shillin. I will be using this rifle for Mule Deer & Elk using heavier bullets 180gr and up. I realize these guys all make good stuff but just looking for the best barrel for the money, Thanks!

I just finished a 300 win mag rebarreling project and I went with Lilja. But it's all preference.

I would really sit down and learn about groove patterns, contours, and benefits of length. It makes a difference.

I have a 3 groove 1/11" twist 26" Lilja on that project. And that's exactly what I wanted for this project but the next one will be something quite different.

The biggest factor is who is putting it on. All of the barrels you listed are going to shoot great if they are put on right, as with all barrels. So, don't give the project to Uncle Jack to save some coin unless he has a half dozen Benchrest World Records under his belt with "his" guns like my guy did. Or a very significant reputation of building 200 yard Fly Swatters. And overhaul the action if this is your first go at this. There's no reason to put all this money on to a crooked piece of steel.

Reputation is key. I went with lilja but I was also considered Broughton, because of the 5C groove pattern. I've been told from people who own them that they are a faster barrel because of the rifling but it's only by 30-60fps, "yahn."

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help. I just finished what you are starting so I'm a little fresh from the experience.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.