300 WM Load

Anyone use the new IMR 8133? I've seen load data in a couple places and it says it should get higher velocities in the .300 with the 225-230 class bullets. However I haven't found it locally and don't want to pay hazmat for something that might not work.

I just got back from shooting some Berger 210's with IMR8133 in ADG brass and Fed 215's. It was shooting in the 2810-2850 depending on seating depth off the top of my head.

Alliant says it's temp stable so I don't understand your findings.
I loaded some RL26 in my 300wm with 180gr Nosler AB on top for a speed test to tweak my QL burn rate settings today and it was 82 degrees. The load was 75grs which is about 95% case fill. It ran 2974fps/2961fps and 2991fps across my chrony. 30fps spread though not good isn't bad for a low end load that the pressure isn't up on for a slow burning powder.

I have been using it this summer consistenly in the 90s and have seen pretty good consistences. I havemt tested them at low temps though. Mine was 2906 2899 and 2896. 87 degrees that day. Thats an es of 10 and my next test was an es of 11, avg the same speed. That load put 3 in a .3 ish group and the flyer made it .6.

23C92224-286A-4CE4-926C-FAF519721891.jpeg
View attachment 104694 View attachment 104694
Would like to developer a 300 WM load for elk hunting (ideally one load that can be effective for short or long range. If it doesn't exist I'll load for one of each)

I have never reloaded before, but my dad has all the equipment.

Who is willing to share the fruits of their labor with me? Bullet type, brass type, primer type, powder type (and amount).

Am I missing something? I'd like optimum performance. From what I can gather, the Berger VLDs look quite nice.

Thank you all in advance!

Also, if you know a thread where this already exists I'd be happy to read through it if you can point me in the right direction.
Consistent load. This from last weekend. 26 inch barrel and muzzle brake. Haven't ever tried to push the velocity. No pressure signs other than slight flattening of primers. Will be bringing this with me in a week for bear if I'm successful first with the muzzleloader for elk.

Berger 210 HVLD
H1000 75.5 grains; velocity = 2795 (Labradar)
WLRM primers
Norma brass
CBTO=2.900; jump=.011"
Good luck with your project.

Edit: looks like I screwed this up! Thought I was posting to help someone else was asking for data on this specific bullet and 300WM in time for elk season. Sorry for the repetition on this thread.

Last edited:
If you THINK a powder is temp sensitive, load your load work ups in SUMMER and test for groups/velocity and take notes......you should be anyway.
Then test in the FALL/WINTER and again test for groups/drops/velocity.

I use a lot of RE25, if I work up in the heat of summer, I only have to adjust POI a inch or less. I don't see a problem as my loads with H1000/Retumbo will change with atmosphere and need correction every now and then. No load is completely stable in ALL conditions, if you think they are, you don't shoot enough.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.