300 win = what in 7mm

Sorry, I was talking about standard factory rounds based off the standard magnum case I guess which going way back is probably the 375 H&H case. I even have an old 375 weatherby off the H&H case from before the 378 came out. Your right the Dakota and many wildcats off the standard magnum case will shoot with the weatherby's. But that was my point. They did a lot of wildcatting to try and get weatherby performance when they could have just got a wby. That goes back to cost of brass and just natural curiosity invention I guess. Now the Lazeroni's, Dakota's, Ultramags and several others compete but then about the same time weatherby comes out with the 338-378 and 30-378, popular wildcats for years, in factory rounds and stays on top. I was just as guilty of it as anyone. Heck, when that 8mm remington magnum came out we could't wait to neck that thing to whatever was reasonable, or unreasonable in some cases. In reality all we were doing was making a 7mm-300 wby, 300 wby, and 340 wby with a different shoulder and cheaper available brass. I know back several years ago the 257-8mm rem mag or they called it then a 257 STW got very popular and I couldn't figure that one out because the 264 to me was always the best one of those and did much better ballistically plus not as hard on barrels. But for some reason it never took off like the 257 did. I still have all of those originals necked off the 8mm rem mag starting with the 257.

Same way with the ultramag when it came out. By the time the 300's were hitting the shelves I already had that thing necked to 7mm, 8mm, 338, 358 and 375. In my opinion the 338 ended up being the best round out of all of those.

I try to remember all this stuff from way back and write it "off the top of my head" you might say and with old timers disease sometimes it don't come out exactly right.

I just went over to that site and checked it out. Looks like that site is saying about the same thing I just did. Taking the 8mm rem mag and getting the same weatherby velocities which is what who knows how many of us did back when the 8mm came out. The velocities shown exactly duplicate the weatheby's in the ones I looked at which were the 7mm, 300, and 338 although the 8mm rem mag has slightly more case capacity. That is what we figured out 30 years ago. The cartridges are good ones. But instead of the expense of a custom that you can't go buy cartridges for, a guy could have just got a 7mm, 300 or 340 weatherby and got the same velocity. I commend the work on changing the shoulder angle and throat to achieve better accuracy and that is where the extra pay for a custom by a good gunsmith comes in. But there are tons of reamers out there changing the throat and neck on the weatherby's to acheive the same purpose. Again that is a good looking line of cartridges on that website. I am going back over there and look at some of the others.

That seems pretty elaborate. What are the advantages to doing what you're doing instead of just necking down a 300WM?

I wanted to have at least one bullet diameter in neck length and that is not achievable just necking down the 300 WM. To make up for the loss in powder capacity by pushing the shoulder back I increased shoulder angle and took the shoulder out .003.

The Weatherbys are great cartridges, but I really didn't want the double radius shoulder, eventhough there are many who love them and load them without problem.

I have been an avid 7mm mag shooter for over 40 years. Love the caliber and thought I would just do something different for fun.

When you get to be my age once in a while you need to do something a little crazy just to stay sane.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.