What bullet for elk in 300 win mag?

BTW, i used 72grns of RL22 under a 190gr SMK and shot it into .10's @100 so was quite pleased with RL22 in that particular rifle.

Woah.
Well I guess thats an excelent example of why folks with severe OCD issues make the best Bench/Comp guys.

Sorry if my post seemed "coarse". It was not my intention. I was simply pointing out that if powder "X" is considered temp sensitive, compared to powder "X-Extreme" then the actual difference is minimal at best, & typically the same or Very Very Simmilar corrections for poi are needed at Long Range for both brands if they're needed for one or the other.

It seems to be about as controversial a topic as Barnes vs. Berger for Terminal Performance, or .308 vs 30-06, or Ford Vs Chevy, or Stroaker vs Cummins etc.
There's two completely different schools of thought. There's NEVER a clear winner, & each side stands firm & unwavering on their idea.

It's been hashed over in the Reloading section, & Rifles, Bullets, & Ballistics section a number of times. Not necessarily in the Elk section.
While I do concede there is a difference, I hold fast to the actual difference being so slight in most common hunting cartridges, that if its effected enough to need corrections for POI, on one powder, they're virtually the same corrections needed for the other.

Woah.
Well I guess thats an excelent example of why folks with severe OCD issues make the best Bench/Comp guys.

Sorry if my post seemed "coarse". It was not my intention. I was simply pointing out that if powder "X" is considered temp sensitive, compared to powder "X-Extreme" then the actual difference is minimal at best, & typically the same or Very Very Simmilar corrections for poi are needed at Long Range for both brands if they're needed for one or the other.

It seems to be about as controversial a topic as Barnes vs. Berger for Terminal Performance, or .308 vs 30-06, or Ford Vs Chevy, or Stroaker vs Cummins etc.
There's two completely different schools of thought. There's NEVER a clear winner, & each side stands firm & unwavering on their idea.

It's been hashed over in the Reloading section, & Rifles, Bullets, & Ballistics section a number of times. Not necessarily in the Elk section.
While I do concede there is a difference, I hold fast to the actual difference being so slight in most common hunting cartridges, that if its effected enough to need corrections for POI, on one powder, they're virtually the same corrections needed for the other.
The Hodgdon powders aren't any better than rl and some are probably worse. I've drug out the chrono in hot and cold actual temps. with the same rifle and load with their stuff and seen 100 fps. h4895 in a 25wssm is one example; 100 fps difference between summer and winter. I usually don't use that much Hodgdon, so my extreme experience is limited, but it's a hell of a marketing tool if you are inclined to drink the kool-aid. I simply use what shoots best in my pipes, and it has usually fallen to Rl or Imr.

The Barnes 168 is on the marginal side in a 300 at range on elk, up close it's not that big a deal but I've had three fail to penetrate into the chest cavity in the 400-500 yard range on elk shot through the shoulder at mid line, hard sell as a long range bullet!!
Up to 320 yards ranged. No long shots here with the group he was with. I wanted him to roast them with my 375h@h, but he didn't like the recoil from prone. It actually was sliding him back as he shot it.

We've killed over 40 critters with rl22 and a 165 in a 300 win, and we've only cought one bullet; a hornady i put into a mule deer buck a few years ago tail end first. It still killed him dead and quick.

Woah.

Thanks WINMAG - i don't have an iron in the fire - i just like to shoot what works.... I didn't know there was a debate or discussion and i prefer not to fan the flames!!!

tlsmith22 - As to a bullet for elk in the 300 Win mag, alot of the choice is directed by how you anticipate your longest shot to be. Since you've already said to 800 and beyond i'd choose a medium-to-heavy weight-for-caliber bullet with a high BC that has a long-history for performance under those conditions.

Many Folks in the elk Forum, as i've read, would unhesitatingly recommend a 180gr Nosler Accubond. I'm not as experienced so all i can contribute is the wisdom of others. For me, a point to keep in mind is that at that range, minimum expansion velocities become a huge factor on bullet performance.

In any event, make your best choice and see if it will meet your accuracy requirement. When i was shooting alot that was the final litmus test for me (given a high-performing bullet). I'd select the "nicest" bullet, but if i couldn't find a way to make it perform with my barrel it was "back to the drawing board".

Case in point; I *really* wanted my 7RM to shoot 140gn Ballistic tips, but no configuration of powder/seating depth/primer would make it shoot (to what i believed the rifle was capable of).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.