300 win mag

GI44

i have decided to buy 300 win mag and am trying to find a good rifle with a muzzle brake and acu trigger. but i dont want to break the bank either. any suggestions?

Sounds to me like you are looking for a Savage 111 LRH. They make a 300 wm and it is supposed to shoot welll right from yhe factory and it has a break too

yea it looks pretty good. ive been looking at savages a lot and their rather cheap compared to other brands i just dont know if the gun is cheaply made as well.

I was going between the LRH and Bear Hunter, I ended up with the Savage Bear Hunter in 300 WM--that has the accutrigger, accustock, muzzle break that you would like as well. I've been having some difficulties finding a load (I don't reload), but settled on Hornady 180 SST (NOT superformance--that shoots like crap in my rifle). I like it; the stainless fluted barrel and camo stock is attractive to me (not to others, I understand.) I ended up putting camo tape over the barrel for hunting this year. After hunting season ends I'm going to try to find a more accurate load for it; I've purchased some Federal Gold Medal Match and Hornady 195 BTHP match to see if I can get the groups down to a half inch at 100. I've also ordered Dave Tubb's final finish if I don't get the groups I want right off; the worst that would happen is that I'd need to order another barrel sooner, IMO; not a big deal.

I was acctually looking at the bear hunter as well and think it looks great. Have you ever shot any longer distances like 200-300 yards? Let me know if you ever get it to group tight or not.

I've taken it to 600 and hit okay with these rounds, 1.5 moa or so. That isn't bad for hunting, and where I'm sitting right now, I won't have a shot greater than 100 anyway. Now if a nice buck would walk by! I think I might be too impatient for hunting. Give me two weeks through this season and I'll try precision shooting again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.