.300 Win Mag

IBEX

Hi.
I`m building a new long range riffel in .300 Win Mag, the barrel has a twist of 11.
My plans are to use the riffel for mountain hunting with shoot up to 600 yards.
The scope is Swarovski 5-30x50 with BT
My question is: What kind of bullet should I use, it will be big game I will be hunting.

Ibex

Try the Beger 210 VLD Hunting bullet. I've excellent success with them out of my .308 Win with an 11.25" twist.

Unfortunately the 11" twist hinders your bullet selection, and doesn't allow you to shoot the Berger 215 or 230 Hybrid bullets, and I have been told the 215 Hybrids are about the best long range bullet you can use for the .300 WinMag. You would need a 10" twist to shoot them.

Hi.
I`m building a new long range riffel in .300 Win Mag, the barrel has a twist of 11.
My plans are to use the riffel for mountain hunting with shoot up to 600 yards.
The scope is Swarovski 5-30x50 with BT
My question is: What kind of bullet should I use, it will be big game I will be hunting.

Ibex

Well you may be limited to medium weight bullets such as 175s-185s. You may luck out and have the 210gr VLDs stabilize in your .300 Win.

Well you may be limited to medium weight bullets such as 175s-185s. You may luck out and have the 210gr VLDs stabilize in your .300 Win.
The Berger 210 VLD's are rated for an 11" twist minimum... The 215 & 230's are a 10" minimum.

Yes Berger recommends 210's for 1 in 11 or faster twist rate. We have shot them in 11 twists with good results from a 300 win. But I too prefer a 10 twist so I have the option of the 215's and 230's.

Jeff

Wasn't sure an 11 would work, never used Bergers before so wasn't sure what twists they worked in and never looked at their twist recommendations. That's interesting a heavy slug like a 210 will stabilize in a slower twist like an 1-11.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts