300 Win Mag

jdk81

My father and I are interested in purchasing a 300 Win Mag. I have heard good things bout the Savage LRH 111 but I have also heard terrible things about this gun. Savage not backing the product after it shooting horrible groups, etc. What would you guys recommend for a 300 Win Mag?

Remington 700 Sendero SFII .300 WinMag, or Remington 700 5R MilSpec 26" .300 WinMag.

In my opinion, the best 2 factory rifles on the market for under $1,500.

jdk81 where did you hear about the 111 LRH shooting bad groups? My step father is having issues with his and I would like to look into it. I went with the Savage 110 FCP and have a 5 shot group under MOA at 100 yds.

I read about the Savage rifle on a thread on this forum. Found it via a google search.

Is there anything that would need done with either of the Remington rifles? Along the lines of different stock, barrel or anything along those lines?

I read about the Savage rifle on a thread on this forum. Found it via a google search.

Is there anything that would need done with either of the Remington rifles? Along the lines of different stock, barrel or anything along those lines?
No, both of those models come from the factory with $400-500 HS Precision stocks on them, that have the aluminum bed block in them.

There is 2 things you would need to do with either of the Remingtons.....1) put a good scope, rings, and base on them, and 2) buy good ammo or work up a handload if you load your own.

:D

Those 2 models of 700 rifles need nothing done. Worst case scenario you might have to bed the recoil lug which takes 15 minutes to do, and let it dry overnight... Not a big deal at all.

Well I sure wish I had ~$2000 to get the gun and good optics!

By the way, what would you guys consider good optics? I figure something NightForce maybe? What price range should I keep an eye out for?

Thanks!

Thanks I just got through reading it. Hopefully there are some answers to his problems in there.

I believe this to be the best deal going:

Mauser 98,Walnut Stock,300 Win M,Commercial : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Nobody else makes a rifle of this quality in this price range. Buy it, bed the action (or have a gunsmith do it), have the trigger adjusted (it is fully adjustable), mount your scope of choice and go shooting.

If you later decide you want to, you can upgrade the stock and barrel without a problem and at reasonable cost. As issued, though, the OE stuff will perform well enough that immediate upgrades will not be needed.

The only con is that the magazine length of 3.4" will likely limit you to deep seating your bullets or single feeding when you start handloading with long, streamlined bullets. Factory ammo won't present a problem.

For mounts, I recommend the EGW picatinny rail and Warne rings. Both are reasonably priced.

As already mentioned, the Zeiss Conquest scopes are an excellent value. I would recommend either the Mil-Dot reticle or the RZ800 for your application.

The SWFA SS 3-15x42 is another excellent value.

Leupold's VX-R series is also offers a great combination of features and high quality at a reasonable price.

If you had to pick between those two scopes, which would you pick?
I have several Zeiss Conquests, including one just like I posted. And they are phenomenal scopes for what you pay for them. They are probably the highest quality sub-$1000 scopes on the market. The Vortex Viper HS LR takes a very close 2nd. Only reason being that the Zeiss has a little bit better glass and lens coatings. But the Vortex is right on its heals.

If you are experienced with hold-over, then go with the Zeiss. If you are kind of a newbie to LR shooting and holding over for windage, go with the Vortex because the reticle that scope has (that I listed) has a compensation system on the lower-half with windage marks to help you get your shot off flawlessly. I will probably be going with the Vortex scope for my .280 AI/.25-06 AI build, since it will be mainly for hunting, and the Zeiss is great, and I love my Zeiss scopes, but I have really been itching to try that Vortex, but haven't been able to, since my money has been going to gun parts to get ready for my build, since it will be at the smiths for a little while, I will have time to save up a little bit towards my scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.