300 win mag with 215 Hybrid on Whitetail

PAshooter20BR

I have followed endless topics that involved conversation and discussion about the 300 win mag set up and running the 215 Berger hybrid. I am building a long range rifle for shots that will go from 100-10000 yards. I want to know if there's anyone else using this combination for long range deer/antelope work and that they are having good success with the combination. I will primarily use this rifle for deer but want to have this setup for elk shooting as well. I primarily picked this combination because of the large amount of proof in the pudding that I have read about. I want from day one to know I have a proven combination. Thanks for your input in advance.

Think there's an extra zero on that distance. I'm unsure of the 10,000 yard capabilities of the .300 win mag lol.

I shot thru two white tails last year perfect shots double lung with 210 Berger VLD hunting. Hardly any blood and the animals took off running and absolutely no blood trail. I love the accuracy of the bergers but I think a shoulder shot would be best if your not worried about losing meat.

Those shots were about 600 and 800

The 215 opens a bit better than the 210, typical blood trails are the best you'll see with any bullet. I started my kids following blood trails by shooting deer with a 308 loaded with 215's, blood trails a 5 year old can follow!!

I use that combination out of my Lane Precision Rifle and it is devastating on deer. In fact, I believe it is too much. If you hit a deer in the shoulder, it will certainly bring it down, but will ruin both shoulders.

I agree it is great on bigger bodied animals such as elk, but I would consider something else for smaller animals. Just my opinion, but have fun with the build process and good luck.

I agree that the 215 is devastating on deer. My farthest was 734 yds quartering away hard. Bullet went in at last rib on left side; exit on off side shoulder. To say the least it blew that deer apart. Similar results with other deer as well. No tracking needed. This is out of a 300 Win Mag at 3000 fps.

You cartridge fits your application well. Big 30 bullets are great on whitetail. Blowing shoulders is easily avoidable, place your shot a few inches behind shoulder and lower. I use 300gr .338 bergers on deer every year and still don't think it's overkill. Although I have harvested more white tail with my 30cals than any other caliber. They hit hard, a big .30 bullet hitting a deer is like a 300gr Berger hitting an elk, and when you see the animal drop drt after the shot you know you brought the right tool for the job. With elk in the mix and any distance involed The big 30 bullets give you much more room for error and will have you tracking less and hunting more.

Have you considered the 230gr berger? Im looking into this for 300win as my norma shoots this combo lights out but is a tank. Need to lighten up for mountain rifle. Figured 1/9twist, just need some specs on throating.

I have followed endless topics that involved conversation and discussion about the 300 win mag set up and running the 215 Berger hybrid. I am building a long range rifle for shots that will go from 100-10000 yards. I want to know if there's anyone else using this combination for long range deer/antelope work and that they are having good success with the combination. I will primarily use this rifle for deer but want to have this setup for elk shooting as well. I primarily picked this combination because of the large amount of proof in the pudding that I have read about. I want from day one to know I have a proven combination. Thanks for your input in advance.

What did that poor whitetail do to **** you off this bad, lol! I use a 210 on whitetail and haven't had a problem under 500. Cant imagine it would do bad at 1k though.

Two mule deer were shot with my 300wm and 215's this year with great results. Neither were long shots. Mine was 480 behind the shoulder. Golf ball sized exit, DRT. The second was at 350 with the exact same results. That being said, I'm not pushing the 215's very hard. 2830 FPS at the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.