28 nosler with 195 vs 300 win mag with 215 hybrid

I read through this thread 2 times.
I'll probably **** people off.
Here's my 2 cents.
First off I'm throwing the B.S. flag on Bob Becks plug for Berger bullets as the ONLY bullet for 50-1000 yard shots.
Yes I've had personal, first hand, experience with this.
Having said that the majority of my rifles have been switched to the Hornady ELD line of bullets. So far I'm impressed with them.
Now to the header of this thread.
195's vs.215's.
I would go with the 215's if your stuck on Berger.
Reason being that the 195's can be unpredictable if extra measures aren't taken. Such as opening up the hollow point cavities to allow expansion to take place. Yes I've had them pin hole through before. If A #60 drill bit is used with a pin vise to open and verifying the cavity they open reliably.
215's are seat and shoot. No special work needed.
Just my 2 cents
Not sure I'd go that far with the 215's or any Berger. I'd keep the pin vise handy!

FullSizeRender.jpg
585 yards with a 28N and the 195 Berger running 3050. This rifle has been a pleasure to shoot, and the bullet has been very effective on game. I killed a mountain goat and an elk last year. This is a rather limited sample, but so far so good.
FullSizeRender.jpg

What's the difference between early release 195's and the current bullet? When did Berger make changes? Be nice if we could check lot numbers to know when they were manufactured.

My experience was that the first batches were finicky to tune. Also the hollow point cavity was not a hundred percent. Shot close to 500 of them.
The newer ones don't exibit these issues.
Just my experience

I'm getting 3100 with a little too much pressure also. Think I'll run them at 3050. Planning on a 7mm-300 Norma imp, what kind of velocities should I expect and which powder should I use?

I'm getting 3100 with a little too much pressure also. Think I'll run them at 3050. Planning on a 7mm-300 Norma imp, what kind of velocities should I expect and which powder should I use?
3200fps 26 in bbl w/ 195s. Retumbo, rl33, n 570, h50 bmg, rl 50, and imr 8133

CA48 what kind of accuracy are you getting using IMR 8133? Out of all those powders listed, which one do you prefer?

I don't have any personal experience with this cartridge. This is what I inquired from Clayton at West Texas Ordinance, they have thier own reamer. Also spoke with Travis at R Bros rifles, they also have thier own version 7mm jazz I think is what they call it. I never built it as I decided to go .30 cal instead but still have not decided on the cartridge.

Have any of you 28 Nosler guys gotten a chance to shoot the Hornady 180gr ELD-M bullets out of the 28 Nosler yet?

Have any of you 28 Nosler guys gotten a chance to shoot the Hornady 180gr ELD-M bullets out of the 28 Nosler yet?
I have tried them in my sons LAW 28 Nos. they dont shoot quite at tight as the 180 VLD-H in that rifle but still pretty good. I also have a Ridgeline in 28 Nos. but havent tried any in it.

I have the 180 Berger VLD and they are accurate using Retumbo and RL33, I have a box of 180ELDM that I will begin working next, but will try them first using IMR 8133. If they are true on the advertised BC then I expect them to be better than the Berger 180VLD. I will let you know once I finish testing.

I have the 180 Berger VLD and they are accurate using Retumbo and RL33, I have a box of 180ELDM that I will begin working next, but will try them first using IMR 8133. If they are true on the advertised BC then I expect them to be better than the Berger 180VLD. I will let you know once I finish testing.

Sounds like it'll be a fun time!

Also with a 28" barrel and throated way longer than SAAMI...

one of my 4 28 nos reamers is only for the 195 and it sits above neck shoulder junction a ways!!
I'm a long time 7stw shooter so my vote is 28 Nosler. My son shoots a 300 Win but with Hornady bullets so apples and oranges there.

Too many 28 Nosler rifle owners think the 28 is a 7Rum and load it as such. The 28 will never reach 7Rum velocities within safe pressures. I read all the time about 28's running 31-3200 fps safely, so if you think 71-75K is a safe pressure then go for it.

I do all of my initial load testing with an Oehler 43PBL which measures pressures with a strain gauge. This initial data will then be used for loading other rifles of the same chambering. The only time I go back to the 43 is when twist rate is different. My pet loads with the 195 run around 3000 fps with RL33 in a 26" bbl. My hunting load is retumbo at 2950ish.

^^^^^^^Exactly,,, there is safe and then there is plain freaking stupid!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.