300 win mag Throating dimensions

Cojaq

Hello Fellow LRH's. I am wondering a few things about throating dimensions and free bore. I currently shoot a 300 win mag. I am stepping up to the 215gr VLD's and quite possibly 230gr VLD's. So as some of you know the MV is not all that great from a 26" bbl. I would like to increase MV by at least 200fps. I have been reading a lot about bbl length and free bore. I was wondering if something similar to the 338+P can be accomplished as far as the chamber/lead dimensions are concerned. If there are any Smiths out there that may have some working knowledge and ability to do this. I have tried a few different seating depths and what not, but no real positive difference. Of course I have considered a longer bbl and will be switching to a 30" tube soon. But it seems that only minimal fps gains will be reached with the increased bbl length. My goal is to reach something like 3000 fps or maybe a little higher with out having pressure issues. This isn't so much as a hunting rig as it is an ultra long range ringer. I realize I should consider a bigger cartridge, but I have what I have and really don't want to pay another 4000 for a paper puncher at this time. Maybe later. So....to all the smiths and persons that can speak from experience....any suggestions to this quest?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.