300 win mag ruger.

montanaio17

My buddy and I went shooting a few days ago. His 300win is a ruger mark1 last year it shot great. This year first time out his gun went from .75 group to over a 10 inch group at 100 yards. I had him shoot several groups just to make sure it was not him flinching. It was shot off a lead sled and he was sure it was not flinching. Any idea how it could go from a good shooting gun to horrible. The scope is bushnel 3200. Thanks Jason.

My guess is that something came loose with your scope. You either have internals that have gone bad, loose bases, or something wrong with your rings. There is also the possibility that maybe he had taken the gun out of the stock since shooting it last and forgot to tighten down all the bolts (I've seen this happen).

The last thing that I've seen happen is shooting the wrong ammo. I know a guy who accidently ran some 25-06 ammo through his 270 and was super ****ed that his gun shot like crap until he realized he had the wrong ammo! Is there any chance he was shooting some 7 mag ammo?

Also, did he shoot a .75 inch group and then they all opened up to over 10 inches? Or did it shoot well last year and this is the first problem he's had when taking his gun out this time?

Last year it shot good and this year it shot poorly. I asked him if he took the stock off and he said no. The ammo is all hand loaded and he only has the one type of ammo. I will have him check all the bolts to make sure they are snug. We are both new to this and need all the help we can get. I will let you know what we find. Thanks.

If all the screws are good and tight then I would bet your scope has gone bad. It unfortunately happens sometimes but Bushnell should take care of it for you if that's the case. After making sure everything is all tightened down if it still doesn't shoot well then swamp a different scope (one you know is currently reliable) onto the rifle. If the problem stops once you have a new scope on then you'll know you need to send the other one off to Bushnell for warranty work.

Hope you get your problems solved.

The rifle bolts were all loose two of them were almost a full turn loose. They were all tightened up and I am hopeful this will fix the problem. Is it possible for that to be the problem. Also the scope base was a little loose.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.