300 PRC throat reamer on a 300 win mag build

West Calamus

Question for all you expert gunsmiths and rifle builders. Can I use a 300 PRC throat reamer in a 300 Win Mag build? My gunsmith just finished cutting the chamber on a 300 win mag build for me and will order the throat reamer the first of next week. What happens if we cut the throat with a PRC .3088 versus the win mag .315 diameter throat? Rifle being built for the 208 eld-x bullet and like the idea of a more snug fit to give the longer bullet less wiggle room. As is always the case I generally have no idea what I talking about so any enlightenment would be a greatly appreciated and since I have been married twice you probably will not hurt my feelings.

Yes, you can use a .3088" throat reamer on a 300 Win Mag chamber. Was the chamber cut with a SAAMI reamer or a custom reamer that didn't have a throat? The throat of a SAAMI 300 Winchester chamber isn't actually a .315" diameter, it is cone shaped. The back of the throat starts at .315" and tapers at ~ 1.444° to bore diameter of .300".

If the chamber has been cut with a SAAMI reamer, you are still going to have a cone about 1/8" long before the parallel freebore starts.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use a .3088" throat reamer on a 300 Win Mag chamber. Was the chamber cut with a SAAMI reamer or a custom reamer that didn't have a throat? The throat of a SAAMI 300 Winchester chamber isn't actually a .315" diameter, it is cone shaped. The back of the throat starts at .315" and tapers at ~ 1.444° to bore diameter of .300".

If the chamber has been cut with a SAAMI reamer, you are still going to have a cone about 1/8" long before the parallel freebore starts.
Thanks Edd for the input. I am thinking it was a SAAMI reamer rented from PTG. I will get with the gunsmith and discuss it with him. I was looking for only .200 freebore and going from what you say we should be able to do it with a .3088 reamer if I am understanding you correctly. Appreciate you

If you wanted .200" of freebore, This would have been a good choice for a reamer.

Attachments

• 300 Winchester Mag Rhian Mantha.pdf
    173.4 KB · Views: 278
I had no idea throating reamers came cartridge specific. The ones I have are caliber specific. What am I missing?

I'm assuming you are trying to add freebore to the wm since it doesn't have any

Last edited:
bigngreen designed a 300 Win Mag reamer with optimal free bore for the 215 Berger Hybrid. It has become quite popular as the go to 300 Win Mag reamer. I believe it is in the public domain but you have to ask for it when ordering a reamer. I prefer a reamer with the correct lead angle and free bore built in. I also realize that it is not as versatile as a standard reamer and use a throater to get the desired free bore. I am not mass producing rifles just a few customs for my self.

I order all my reamers with no freebore and throat them to fit the intended bullet and length the customer wants. To many lengths to do and I don't want 10 of every cartridge. I do have several sets that have different neck diameters.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.