300 Win Mag & Rl33 load help!

KMG

Just wanting some additional information, loads or just do's & dont's before I start some new load development. I have 2-8# of rl33 & a bunch of formed winchester brass & Hornady 208 amax's & 225 bthp's to try. My current accuracy load that I've been using is win brass, 76gr h1000, & 208's, jumping them about .005" @ 2.925" ogive, @ 2870fps. This seems like a pretty mild load in my rifle with good accuracy & low es. I don't like pushing the envelope but I'm thinking that I might get a little more velocity out of my rig with a slower powder while still keeping pressures in check. Thanks in advance. Kmg

I tried RL33 with berger 230 OTMs in my 5r 300 WM with decent success. At 82.5 grains, I saw 2815 fps with single digit ES through five shots. Group was .6 MOA at 200.

Just wanting some additional information, loads or just do's & dont's before I start some new load development. I have 2-8# of rl33 & a bunch of formed winchester brass & Hornady 208 amax's & 225 bthp's to try. My current accuracy load that I've been using is win brass, 76gr h1000, & 208's, jumping them about .005" @ 2.925" ogive, @ 2870fps. This seems like a pretty mild load in my rifle with good accuracy & low es. I don't like pushing the envelope but I'm thinking that I might get a little more velocity out of my rig with a slower powder while still keeping pressures in check. Thanks in advance. Kmg

Hi Kevin.....If you can get your hands on some RL26, it would probably give you more than RL33. I have been getting very low es in the Sherman.....Rich

Haven't seen any 26 around here yet. I've got a lot of 33 & it's been doing real well in my SS, but I'll keep my eyes out for 26.thx

Hi Kevin.....If you can get your hands on some RL26, it would probably give you more than RL33. I have been getting very low es in the Sherman.....Rich
+1

rl33 is slower than retumbo... we've only had decent luck with retumbo In a 300win with 180 grain + and heavily compressed charges. It may work well for you, but you may have a tough time getting to full pressure.

rl25, rl26, and h1000 are better heavy pill choices i.m.o. for the 300win. Now ream her out to 300rum, and watch magic happen with rl33 and heavy pills.

+1

rl33 is slower than retumbo... we've only had decent luck with retumbo In a 300win with 180 grain + and heavily compressed charges. It may work well for you, but you may have a tough time getting to full pressure.

rl25, rl26, and h1000 are better heavy pill choices i.m.o. for the 300win. Now ream her out to 300rum, and watch magic happen with rl33 and heavy pills.

Or just go to 30/375 S.I. with 96+ grains and gain just enough to utilize the RL33:D

Or just go to 30/375 S.I. with 96+ grains and gain just enough to utilize the RL33:D

If the 300/375 goes saami I may give her a spin on the next barrel I need.

At present, I'm looking at a re-barrel in the next year or so on my 300rum; likely an 8" twist Shilen select match with about a 30" barrel length... I never go below 180 grain in my 300rum so may as well spin the heck out of them and shoot the 240-250 grain pills as they become available.

If the 300/375 goes saami I may give her a spin on the next barrel I need.

At present, I'm looking at a re-barrel in the next year or so on my 300rum; likely an 8" twist Shilen select match with about a 30" barrel length... I never go below 180 grain in my 300rum so may as well spin the heck out of them and shoot the 240-250 grain pills as they become available.

It probably wont do that, but I WILL give you a deal on some custom dies and reamer rental:D I launched the 215 Berger at 3192 with a full charge of RL33.....Rich

Well not on my current platform for my 300win mag, a TC Encore. It's not recommended to use the rum case due to case thrust. Not saying that I won't later on, but not in this setup. I'm just trying to get as much oomph out of my 300 as I can without getting up to high in pressures. Thought 33 might give me a little extra over h1000 or retumbo.

Well not on my current platform for my 300win mag, a TC Encore. It's not recommended to use the rum case due to case thrust. Not saying that I won't later on, but not in this setup. I'm just trying to get as much oomph out of my 300 as I can without getting up to high in pressures. Thought 33 might give me a little extra over h1000 or retumbo.

No, the 30/375 S.I. is a .530 case head not the .550" RUM size. It would be an easy conversion since the reamer would just cut out to your belt dimension. This would give you about a 7 grain increase in capacity and get rid of the belt! You could also consider throating out what you have to take advantage of the slowww burn rate of RL33.........Rich

Wow Rich that's an intriguing consept. You say you have the dies & reamer for the SI conversion? I have an Interarms that is going to need rebarreling soon, was thinking about the 270 Sherman, but the 30/375 SI sounds like a great upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.