300 win mag reloading with Nosler 200gr partition and H1000

:rolleyes:

It's worked pretty good for me. One of the few bullets I've seen make it lengthwise through a bull elk.

@bowhunter123456789 - you are definitely in the ball park. I would skip the .2gr increments and go .5gr at a time. 77.5 to 79 and see if things improve at all.

The 200gr partition is not the best bullet for long range, but for hard angles in the timber the performance is tough to beat.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to reloading , so I'm working up a load for my annual West Texas Aoudad , hog ,elk, mule deer ,white tail and mountain lion hunt, with a 300 win mag. My bullet is the 200 gr Nosler partition with H1000 powder. Starting load is 74 gr and max at 79gr. I had some time on my hands ,so I loaded up 3 rounds each of 77gr and 78gr . Fired the 77gr at 300yds getting velocity numbers at 2865,2897 and 2877Fps. New Win. brass and win. Large rifle mag primers , COAL is 3.340 which works great for my magazine . Here is a picture of the 77gr.View attachment 136754 The lower left hole is from a fouling shot before the 3 at 77gr. The only sign of pressure was a slight cratering of the primer. I didn't shoot the 78 gr loads. So my question is , what should I do next? Load up .2gr above and below to see what I get? I have found that 3.340 COAL works best with my rifle. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
I would go to 75 GRS and work up .5 at a time to 77. When you find something you like you go
.2. I n the beginning .2 can be too small to recognize. Just me saying

Maybe a little bit more speed with a little more powder or different but at end of day that will work with the 200 gr NP. That load will kill anything very nice.

My recommendation is to repeat shooting and different distances. See how it performs.
You may be able to get better results playing with the load and or bullets but looks like the gun will shoot NP.

Both the 190 VLD Hunting and the 210 VLD Hunting have given me very good groups. Of course you need room in your mag because they are long and VLDs usually want to be right on the lands or way off. I've found good groups at 10-20 thou and 80-100 thou off. Also, Retumbo or IMR 8133 might give you a little better powder column and a bit more velocity than H1000, but boy I do love H1000. It shoots great in my 7 LRM and 6.5 PRC.

But, I wouldn't change if you are getting good groups from the Nosler and you don't plan on shooting much farther than 500ish yards. I didn't run the ballistics but usually around 500 yards is where the high BC bullets start pulling away from the lower BC flat based bullets.

If you do switch, as you know the Satterlee method will save time and components.

im sure you can do better group and faster even with partitions , theres nothing really special about that group to be working around ? keep at it , something will shine

I don't think anyone would argue about sub MOA @ 300 yards. I agree he can possibly do better but from what I can calculate just over 2" at 300 isn't a bad start.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.