300 win mag reloading with Nosler 200gr partition and H1000

bowhunter123456789

I'm fairly new to reloading , so I'm working up a load for my annual West Texas Aoudad , hog ,elk, mule deer ,white tail and mountain lion hunt, with a 300 win mag. My bullet is the 200 gr Nosler partition with H1000 powder. Starting load is 74 gr and max at 79gr. I had some time on my hands ,so I loaded up 3 rounds each of 77gr and 78gr . Fired the 77gr at 300yds getting velocity numbers at 2865,2897 and 2877Fps. New Win. brass and win. Large rifle mag primers , COAL is 3.340 which works great for my magazine . Here is a picture of the 77gr. 0604191344.jpg The lower left hole is from a fouling shot before the 3 at 77gr. The only sign of pressure was a slight cratering of the primer. I didn't shoot the 78 gr loads. So my question is , what should I do next? Load up .2gr above and below to see what I get? I have found that 3.340 COAL works best with my rifle. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

I don't know if you just got lucky with that load or if there is something better.

New brass is going to give you a different "ideal" load than fired brass.

I've been having good experiences running a "Satterlee" test to find a velocity flat spot and then fine tune from there. One of our other members turned me into that. Thanks Deputy819!

The well known combo the the 300 WM is the Berger 215 hybrid with H1000 that will run at ~3,000 fps. The 215 has a G1 .691 compared to the partition G1 of .481, that is a HUGE difference.
posted previously;
-------------------------------------------------------
The well known combo for the 300Win and Berger 215 is H1000 215M between 76 gr and 77gr(high node) with the H1000 very near or above 3,000 fps, some higher, some lower. H1000 is among the most stable powders and hard to beat, especially in the higher temperatures we have out West. Almost every 300 WM Broz built ran the same numbers.
Check also on longrangeonly.com
and run a ladder test as described in the "reloading" section, it doesn't have to be 1,000 yards but further is better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some results from Broz and the 215;

"But since I spent last fall killing elk like a mad man (70 elk taken total) and the 300 win with a 215 Hybrid @3035 and the 7-300with a 195 @2950 were the two rifles use most for the first of many kills, let me offer some real world long range hunting results.
Now lets go kill elk. I mentioned the 300 win and the 7-300 were the two most used rifles during a good part of last season here. This included a pre-season management hunt, all season long. And a post-season management hunt. Some nights we even had these two rifles side by side with a different hunter on each rifle while we waited in the blind for the elk to enter the hay field. Here are the results. The 215 Hybrid will out kill the 195 in a way so obvious after about a 15 or 20 elk taken with the 7 I put it away. The 300 with a 215 , not once needed a second shot to dispatch the elk. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im sure you can do better group and faster even with partitions , theres nothing really special about that group to be working around ? keep at it , something will shine

2 things you found out by that test was , shoulder measurement difference between new and once fire brass , and you can safely make it to 77

edited:

Load up .2gr above and below to see what I get?

yes , from 77 up to 79 (( per hogdon data with those components at that OAL, verify data yourself here )) https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

then shoot all at separate targets like this one

Attachments

• 6 diamond scaled target.GIF
    6 diamond scaled target.GIF
    18.7 KB · Views: 260
Thanks for the help. I plan to shoot the 77gr again at 300 yds which is the longest I can shoot right now .I can reach out to 900 yds ,once my neighbor cuts his hay. I like the Satterlee method and have used it before. Seating depth I have found is best around 3.340 . If I can tighten this group up, would it be a bad idea to go with new brass for my final loads?

Since I'm so early in developing this load, should I switch to the 215 hybrid. I'd rather do it now before I burn too much powder and barrel.

Thanks for the help. I plan to shoot the 77gr again at 300 yds which is the longest I can shoot right now .I can reach out to 900 yds ,once my neighbor cuts his hay. I like the Satterlee method and have used it before. Seating depth I have found is best around 3.340 . If I can tighten this group up, would it be a bad idea to go with new brass for my final loads?
yes , if you have formed brass availalble ,

Go to Dan Newberry's site and look at the OCW method. It's easy to use. I've never found a great load only using two different powder weights. I do love H1000 in a 300WM with lead bullets. The copper ones are too long to get enough in there. I shoot RE23 or RE 26 with a Barnes 200 LRX in one rifle. My other prefers 180's so it's always RE23.

OP - in case you don't know - the Berger 215 Hybrid is offered by Berger as a Target bullet. Even though Berger doesn't recommend using it for hunting, many people have tried it and had good results. However there have been stories of not so good results too. As for me I'm sticking with the 200 grain Accubond for now.

I'm fairly new to reloading , so I'm working up a load for my annual West Texas Aoudad , hog ,elk, mule deer ,white tail and mountain lion hunt, with a 300 win mag. My bullet is the 200 gr Nosler partition with H1000 powder. Starting load is 74 gr and max at 79gr. I had some time on my hands ,so I loaded up 3 rounds each of 77gr and 78gr . Fired the 77gr at 300yds getting velocity numbers at 2865,2897 and 2877Fps. New Win. brass and win. Large rifle mag primers , COAL is 3.340 which works great for my magazine . Here is a picture of the 77gr.View attachment 136754 The lower left hole is from a fouling shot before the 3 at 77gr. The only sign of pressure was a slight cratering of the primer. I didn't shoot the 78 gr loads. So my question is , what should I do next? Load up .2gr above and below to see what I get? I have found that 3.340 COAL works best with my rifle. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
look on the front of the H-1000 jar

The 200 accubond with the top load recommendation in the nosler manual was an honest .5 moa in my gun.
The accubond and partition performed the same on game in my experience. Better BC with accubond. I only use the partition if it groups better.

And loading bullets longer than 3.340 often provides better accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.