300 Win Mag Load Developement Problems

Iden

I have a Rem 700 action and a 29 1/2 in benchmark barrel with a 1-10 twist chambered in a 300 Win Mag. I am having a hard time finding a load for this rifle. I would like to use 210 bergers. I have tried H-1000,Retumbo,H4831. I was just wondering if there is something that i am missing. Any help would be great. I am out of ideas?

Going to need more info, like brass make, primer, seating depth, fl or neck sized, powder charge weights, etc.....

Well here's what worked for me. I have a .300 Winny that I shoot 210's out of as well.

I first took Sierra's accuracy load for their 220 SMK and loaded that and found my seating depth. I started just kissing the rifling and worked off in 0.020" increments to 0.100 off all shooting the same powder and charge. You'll find one depth shoots a lot better than the other. Then I moved up and down in small increments around that length until I found the sweet spot. After that I played with powders, I used H4831SC, H1000 and RL-22. I had great results with all three about 1/2 MOA. For H1000 I liked 73.0-76.0 grs, H4831SC shot great from 70.0-71.5 and RL-22 shot really well from 70-72.5. All these were close to max so be careful, but best accuracy came on the hot side for all. I settled on 75.0 grs H1000. I use Fed215M primers and like them a lot. Berger's with their secant ogives are pretty picky about how far off the lands they are so that's where I'd start my focus. Mine shoot well with about 0.040" jump.

First of all thank u for the advice. I was wondering how u r changing ur seating depth so accurately??. I have an rcbs seating die, can it be done with that type of dye?? I have never really changed the depth once I get it set. I set my seating depth as far out as I can without making it a single shot action. Thanks again.

Have you ever fired any solid copper bullets like the Barnes in the rifle? If so you will need to get some BoreTech Eliminator and do a good job cleaning the bore. Load development should start with a clean barrel. And no hoppies wont cut it.

Jeff

The only bullets I have put down the barrel were hornady a-max and Berger. And I clean the gun about every 40 or 50 rounds.

Sorry for the delayed info. I am using rem brass, have only used fed 215 primers. My over all length is 3.63 which I have been loading to fit in clip of my action.

Ok, well I think your seating depth is off, at 3.63" oal your probably still .125+" off the lands and bergers usually do not do good with that much jump. Have a gunsmith install a wyatts extended mag box.

First of all thank u for the advice. I was wondering how u r changing ur seating depth so accurately??. I have an rcbs seating die, can it be done with that type of dye?? I have never really changed the depth once I get it set. I set my seating depth as far out as I can without making it a single shot action. Thanks again.
RCBS seating die's bullet stem is 28 threads per inch. One turn changes seating depth about 36 thousandths; .036 inch. Half a turn .018, fourth a turn .009 and eighth turn .0045 inch. This should help.

Sierra's suggestion for most accurate loads have been very good over the years. If one doesn't shoot about MOA at 100 yards with them, the rifle may have a problem. And sometimes, it's the shooter's problem. Ask someone else to shoot your handloads then see what happens. I've done that and it helps.

PS: this is an internet forum and most of us prefer normal completely spelled-out words instead of cell phone text messaging single letters for a word. It makes much easier reading for those of us who do not text to others.

I just re-evaluated my seating depth compared to my lands and found out that I am seating my bullets right at my lands. Could this be causing my problems???. Should I seat the bullets a lil deeper??

I see no problems seating bullets out to touch the lands. When 30 caliber magnums were "in" for long range prone matches, all the top scoring folks seated bullets out that far. It helps align the bullet with the bore before it's fired.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.