300 win mag 210 vld

Thanks for the help barefoot. I'm assuming that those charge weights are for the 4831sc?
coastbuck,
Sorry! yes the 66.5 start and 70.2 max are for the H 4831 SC.

RETUMBO = 75.5 start - 79.6 MAX . Approximate velocities are 2719 to 2874 FPS . Fill ratio is approximately 107%. AGAIN, THIS LOAD IS BASED ON A MAGAZINE LENGTH ROUND.

Thanks again barefoot. In process now of resizing and brass prep. You think a guy should load 6 of each .40 off the lands of the 4831sc and retumbo shoot for groups and see what the rifle likes better or just work with one powder and see what happens?

Last edited:
Well got a dummy round made and the bolt closed at 3.560. Same as the 185's. Cycled the bolt several times no coal shift. Wasn't hard to close or.open. just a little stump because I thought I would get a different coal to the lands because these bullets are a little bit longer

Well got a dummy round made and the bolt closed at 3.560. Same as the 185's. Cycled the bolt several times no coal shift. Wasn't hard to close or.open. just a little stump because I thought I would get a different coal to the lands because these bullets are a little bit longer
Polish the tarnish off the bullet . Re-chamber it at look for "lands marks" on the bullet. Use 0000 steel wool to remove the tarnish. IF you see any lands marks of any length. Adjust your seating stem down just a little, seat the bullet a little lower, polish off the existing marks and re-chamber the round. Do this until you end up with lands marks on the bullet that resemble small dots or lines about the same thickness as the mark a very sharp #2 pencil point will leave on a piece of paper. Remeasure the round with your comparator. With these marks you are still into the lands slightly BUT you have a reference point. If there are no marks on the round you have now after polishing and re-chambering. You are not to the lands yet. Seat the bullet out and re- chamber. Suggest you may want to grt a SINCLAIR or HORNADY overall length tool to make life a little easier.

OK will do here is a pic at 3.560 coal. Looks like its still lil deep in the lands.

Attachments

• IMG_20150925_095629661.jpg
    IMG_20150925_095629661.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 63
I load the 210VLD's at .020" off the lands and use 79gr of Retumbo with FED215's. Norma brass. This load gives me 2900FPS out of my 24" barrel, ES 9FPS, .25MOA accuracy. Rifle: Rem 700 Milspec, 300WM. Reumbo gnenerates about 100FPS more velocity than H4821sc and H1000.

Thanks for they reply greyfox. 2900 fps out of a 24 is pretty impressive. You at higher altitudes?

Yeah sorry barefoot I'm not very tech savvy lol. Pic taken with cell phone and I don't know how you post the full images instead of attachments. But I can tell you that I seated it 10 thousands deeper and lands mark became more faint. At 3.540 coal the dots appeared. So guess I was jumping the 185 at .20 off lands? Guess I'll set some of these there and try it out. Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks for they reply greyfox. 2900 fps out of a 24 is pretty impressive. You at higher altitudes?

Yeah sorry barefoot I'm not very tech savvy lol. Pic taken with cell phone and I don't know how you post the full images instead of attachments. But I can tell you that I seated it 10 thousands deeper and lands mark became more faint. At 3.540 coal the dots appeared. So guess I was jumping the 185 at .20 off lands? Guess I'll set some of these there and try it out. Thanks again for all your help.

My Altitude is 350'. The 2900 MV remains the same when hunting at my location at 4600'.

Got a fast barrel there greyfox. Gives me high hopes being around sea level my own self. Think the highest elevation I hunt around here anyways is 1500 feet give or take a steep cannon or two. Thanks again for the reply.

Well did a seating depth test and the best load look to be .60 from the lands. Two touching and I pulled the last one to spread the group open. Gonna reload some more there and try going a little deeper and longer and see what happens.

Well I finally retested my load and group was slightly over an inch at 200 yards. Hardly anything for horizontal spread all vertical. I don't own a chronograph. So I'm guessing that I'm getting different velocity. Should I back down the charge and see if it settles in? Or just start over with 4831sc?

Well I finally retested my load and group was slightly over an inch at 200 yards. Hardly anything for horizontal spread all vertical. I don't own a chronograph. So I'm guessing that I'm getting different velocity. Should I back down the charge and see if it settles in? Or just start over with 4831sc?
coastbuck,
If you have a half MOA group at 200 yards I would suggest you test that load at 300 and 500 yards. Can you get us a picture of the group?

You are in the ballpark with that group. I would get my hands on a chrinograph and shoot a few more groups before I would go much further. IMO

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.