300 weatherby varing velocity

huntaway

300 weatherby velocity variations
Does any one have any experiance with the Weatherby mark V Ultra light with the Krieger bbl. I cronographed mine today and it is a lot faster than my older Japanese Mark V. 40*F @ 1400 feet with 84 grains 7828ssc and 180gr nosler accubonds produced 3200fps with old rifle and 3325 to 3350 ultra light. Same ammo in both rifles. Thats considerably faster than the load data show.
Does it have anything to do with the Kreiger kriterion barrel?
progress.gif

300 weatherby velocity variations
Does any one have any experiance with the Weatherby mark V Ultra light with the Krieger bbl. I cronographed mine today and it is a lot faster than my older Japanese Mark V. 40*F @ 1400 feet with 84 grains 7828ssc and 180gr nosler accubonds produced 3200fps with old rifle and 3325 to 3350 ultra light. Same ammo in both rifles. Thats considerably faster than the load data show.
Does it have anything to do with the Kreiger kriterion barrel?
progress.gif
It may just be that you have a tighter chamber and bore than your previous rifle which will increase pressure and therefore velocity.
It may even have a minimum chamber, which is good for case life!

I had a 300Weatherby on a Win Mod70 S/S that would get 3400fps with 180gr bullets even though the same rounds would only get 3300fps in a friends rifle, BTW, this was with factory Weatherby ammo.
Mine had a very tight chamber and bore, the freebore length was normal though.
gun)

It may be a couple of things... It could be the chamber like Magnum Maniac said and/or the barrel. Every rifle/chamber/barrel will be different, some more than others.

It could also be (and/or) the chrony. I have seen chrony velocites change drastically in the same load as lighting changes, especially when going into a shodow. Most of the chrony's we use are not precise instruments. I bought a second chrony to test agains my first one and they varries in velocity anywhere from 10-50 fps set up one in front of the other. For that reason, I just use chrony's as ballpark guide and use drops and verticle POI differences to determine true velocity/BC and load consistancy.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.