300 Weatherby Loads and Bullets?

WEATHERBY460

Staring to do some reloading for a 300 WBY. Thinking of using the 212 ELD X or 215 Berger. Anyone have any success reloading the 300 WBY?

Not with those . Never tried them . But the 180 gr Hornady bullets out of a 300 weatherby will flatten pretty well everything in the continental U.S

I think it depends on where your at. Where I live near the coast, with 212's, even if I load with the bullet so long it barely ejects a loaded round, I can't run a slow enough powder without a compressed load to get any speed. If I try a faster powder I get pressure before I reach any decent speed. I've heard of guys having good luck in the higher elevations though with an H1000 type powder.

My wife shoots an improved version of the 300 WeatherBug and it shoots 210 Berger's over N570 quite well. Don't see any reason it wouldn't do so on the unimproved case.

I have a switch barreled Model 70 that I ran a 300 Bee in, 26" barrel, and I ran 200gr Accubonds in it @ 3250FPS with RETUMBO.
Since have sold that barrel as it was mediocre in accuracy never getting below 3/4MoA.
It ran a 1/2" throat instead of the .375" they use today.
That rifle only runs a 375 Bee now, the 340 Bee barrel is gathering dust, my 338WM is more accurate and far less fussy with powder, RE19 does it all in that cartridge.

Cheers.

460, if your 300 Wby is an older European made it's likely to have a 1:12 twist. The heavies don't perform well in those. The 24" Vanguard might like a bit lighter bullet as well. 26" newer MarkV can be quite accurate with your 212's. As usual, no two rifles like the same as suggested loads. My son's 300 likes the 190 Berger VLDH with H1000. Not very accurate with the 210's or 212's.

I think it depends on where your at. Where I live near the coast, with 212's, even if I load with the bullet so long it barely ejects a loaded round, I can't run a slow enough powder without a compressed load to get any speed. If I try a faster powder I get pressure before I reach any decent speed. I've heard of guys having good luck in the higher elevations though with an H1000 type powder.
try rl-23 or 26 you will find your fps

I am at 126 ft above sea level not shooting the 212 but a 215 at 2913 fps its a 26 inch barrel no pressure and very good brass life

It's a new rifle, not mine. Worked up a decent target load with 208's with rl25 till powders become more available. Was thinking about 200ish for hunting but I'll try 26 with the 212's since I have them. If I can find it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.