300 Wby. Mag. VS. 300 Rem.Ultra Mag. ?

Shubey

Gents;
Let's hear Pro,s& Cons of comparing these 2 Cartridges! (As your experiences have shown you). Discuss recoil, accuracy ,etc. Would an animal know the difference if well hit by each of these rounds? Let,s hear your experience,s.

Gents;
Let's hear Pro,s& Cons of comparing these 2 Cartridges! (As your experiences have shown you). Discuss recoil, accuracy ,etc. Would an animal know the difference if well hit by each of these rounds? Let,s hear your experience,s.
The RUM has significantly have more case capacity, and thus have everything higher.

I've shot the .300 RUM since day one in 1999. Liked it, hunted with it and then moved on. There is nothing wrong with it but there are just too many other cartridges to shoot.

I started with the .300 Weatherby because I wanted one but that ammo, even when reloaded was expensive. I learned to fire form .300 H&H brass/ammo to get .300 Weatherby cases. The H&H was relatively inexpensive at that time, saving me (a student) quite a bit of cash even with the fireforming.

Call it whatever you want, I have an affinity for the Weatherby which I lack for the RUM. They both shoot great, perform well on game and are easy to load for. Recoil can be significant for both cartridges. Prices for both are still incredibly stupid currently even with the mass production dedicated to ammunition manufacturing.

See if you can persuade a friend or acquaintance to let you shoot both because you need to have that experience to see what you can shoot accurately with that level of recoil. Either .300 has a superb range of bullet designs and weights. Lots of choices!

:)

I never had great results with any of the Weatherby chamberings including the 300, I think due to cartridge design and the ridiculously long throats. 300RUM on the other hand I shot a lot of for a long time with great results.

Assuming you had both cartridges shooting equally well with the same bullet there's not a lot of difference though, the RUM just pushes the same 30 cal bullet a little faster extending your effective range. It's no different than comparing a 6.5CM to a 6.5PRC in that regard. The RUM is just going to be more inherently accurate based on design.

I'd take the RUM over the WBY every time for obvious reasons, but these days I'd take a 300PRC over either for the brass and ammo support as well as the availability of factory rifles chambered in it as well as prefit barrels.

I don't have a 300RUM. I have a few 300WBY. All extremely accurate.
300RUM is faster than 300 WBY, not bad for something that came about 60 years later. Then again, why not compare it to the 30-378WBY, made originally long before the RUM, like 1959.
People complaint about the freebore , yet the latest move Is for +P chambers, which is more freebore
Also people
Complaint about the double radius yet nobody can explain why they is something wrong.
If you gave me a RUM I am sure I will enjoy it. I do enjoy my WBY and every other rifle I have

Last edited:
Have both, velocity is higher in the RUM. My Weatherby is an American made Stainless Mark V from the 90's. Shoots the factory 195 Hammers into a ragged hole at 100 yards. ELD-X load is 1 MOA. The RUM is 1 MOA on a good day with Barnes LRX. Haven't gotten a chance to load Hammer 180's for it yet but that's what I'm going to try next. That or the Hammer 121's for a laserbeam.

There's some benefit to the 300 Weatherby if you own one in a Mark V rifle which is that the magazine will tolerate a 3.8" COAL. So if you wanted to load longer heavy bullets that is more of an option.

I don't have a 300RUM. I have a few 300WBY. All extremely accurate.
300RUM is faster than 300 WBY, not bad for something that came about 60 years later. Then again, why not compare it to the 30-378WBY, made originally long before the RUM, like 1959.
People complaint about the freebore , yet the latest move Is for +P chambers, which is more freebore
Also people
Complaint about the double radius yet nobody can explain why they is something wrong.
If you gave me a RUM I am sure I will enjoy it. I do enjoy my WBY and every other rifle I have
Yes, I told my gunsmith to chamber for 300 Wby. Mag. 300 RUM only has 150fps edge at the cost of recoil& more powder. The 300 Wby. Served Elgin Gates well!