300 wby bullet

You can swap for the 338 Lapua box and have a longer COAL if you have a Mark V.

FYI, if you try a Hammer and your rifle is a Mark V, buy a sample box, load a few without powder and primer, and fill the magazine. Run them through several times. Be very sure that the tip of the bullet doesn't catch on the back of the barrel as you feed them in. I've had poor luck with the regular Hammer Hunters in Mark V rifles when it comes to feeding them. They shoot beyond belief, so it's a good thing I haven't needed to get a quick second shot.
If they ever put a plastic tip on these it would fix the problem, but I don't foresee that based on conversations with Steve.

Running 180TTSX in my 300 Wbys with 7828SSC.

His is a Vanguard. Does not come in 338 LM
I have used three powders in my MK V 300 very succesfully
IMR4350 with 180 BT
IMR7828 with 180 TSX
RL22 with 200 AB and Partition

you can still shoot the 215 Berger Hybrid at 3.56" using RL22 or H1000
What is your barrel length

I'm shooting h1000 now, 26 inch barrel with a brake. H1000 is the only powder I found that it would really shoot when I was developing the load. Currently shooting 85 gr of h1000 with the 185s and it's tight. My only thing with trying to seat the longer bullets deeper is that I'm gonna have to cut the powder charge down a bunch to get them to fit.

I still don't see a problem with loading H1000, 215 Hybrid and staying within the 3.6 mag limit. Check a couple of books and walk it up. I know my rifles and I know where I would load. Also, choice of brass makes a difference. RP and Hornady is thicker, holds 1-2 grains less than Nosler or WBY

Kind of in a predicament with my 300 wby and deciding what bullet to shoot for elk. I Want something that wont fail if I end up having one at 40 yards but will still perform at 6-700. I'm currently shooting the 185 Berger hybrid in the gun and they shoot lights out. But I would really like to shoot something a bit heavier and possibly tougher judging by what I've read about the bergers, and would really like to shoot the 215 hybrid, 200 accubond or the 196 hammer hunter. My only issue is the length of the bullets. The longest I can load them to get them in the mag is 3.570, but have lots of room in the chamber for the longer bullets. For everybody shooting the heavier bullets, are you just single feeding them? Or am I over thinking it too much and should just shoot the 185 hybrid and call it good lol
I have a 30" 300 wby. With rl26 and well over 3.750 I'm getting over 3200 FPS with a 215 berger. They hit like Thor's hammer.

I use 210 Nos LR Accubond with H1000 and load out to 3.60 with a detachable box from CDI precision. The only thing is the feed ramp will not let you load out past this as it will stop the round from being stripped from the mag. I love these bullets have an avg of 3050 ish fps and I do like the performance up close. That's not my opinion for Berger less than 150 yards to fast and to much energy they just come apart bad. Have several real experiences since I live in Arkansas and most shots are closer than 100 yards. Nosler has not let me down.

I agree with the 200 gr Nosler accubond I run them with IMR 7828 SSC with great results accurate and great performance from 100- 500 yards I wont shoot anything farther than that. If shot 210 Bergers although they are very accurate i would never shoot another one at game as I feel they damage too much meat. I've shot my 300 for 30 years /2 barrels and shot bullets from 165 -210 grains and feel like the 200 gr Accubond has served me best

Kind of in a predicament with my 300 wby and deciding what bullet to shoot for elk. I Want something that wont fail if I end up having one at 40 yards but will still perform at 6-700. I'm currently shooting the 185 Berger hybrid in the gun and they shoot lights out. But I would really like to shoot something a bit heavier and possibly tougher judging by what I've read about the bergers, and would really like to shoot the 215 hybrid, 200 accubond or the 196 hammer hunter. My only issue is the length of the bullets. The longest I can load them to get them in the mag is 3.570, but have lots of room in the chamber for the longer bullets. For everybody shooting the heavier bullets, are you just single feeding them? Or am I over thinking it too much and should just shoot the 185 hybrid and call it good lol
212 Hornaday? Use them in 300 Weatherby and 300 win....works for me and the 6 fellas I load for...

I've had very good luck with the 168 and 180 gr. Barnes TTSX. My rifle box is a bit on the short side also. but as bullet seating depth is not as critical with these bullets, my accuracy is as good, or better than some of the other more conventional bullets that I have tried. My last elk was shot at 567 yds. using the 168 gr. TTSX. Performance was excellent, with both deep penetration and a wide wound channel. The bullet struck low behind the front leg taking out both lungs and breaking the leg on the off side. I have been using this bullet for 15 yrs. now, and not had any type of failure. I shot a cow 2 years ago at 55 yds.. It was a front quartering shot that struck her low in the chest, traversing both lungs and the top of the heart. She dropped at the shot, and the bullet was not recovered. A word of caution though, this bullet will not take out both shoulders of an elk, but the 180 will. A good friend and hunting partner, tried using the 200 gr. TSX but found that it did not expand reliably at longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.