300 wby bullet

Bmccart

Kind of in a predicament with my 300 wby and deciding what bullet to shoot for elk. I Want something that wont fail if I end up having one at 40 yards but will still perform at 6-700. I'm currently shooting the 185 Berger hybrid in the gun and they shoot lights out. But I would really like to shoot something a bit heavier and possibly tougher judging by what I've read about the bergers, and would really like to shoot the 215 hybrid, 200 accubond or the 196 hammer hunter. My only issue is the length of the bullets. The longest I can load them to get them in the mag is 3.570, but have lots of room in the chamber for the longer bullets. For everybody shooting the heavier bullets, are you just single feeding them? Or am I over thinking it too much and should just shoot the 185 hybrid and call it good lol

So, the question is....how do the bullets you'd like to shoot if you seat them to fit the box? Sounds to me like you haven't tried it yet. Only one way to sort thru this quickly...:)

I have not tried yet, but I feel like the 185s are on the verge of being too deep and I'm shooting 85 gr of h1000 with them compressed. The 215 Berger and the 196 hammer are both right around .150 longer than the 185

I shoot Nosler 200 AB and 200 Partitions, in two MK V. Load them to 3.56" with RL 22. Very accurate. Took a real big Zebra with it.

Totally get it, you're gut's probably right but if it were me I'd still give it a go.

And not to add to your pile of choices but I will, for sure I'd give the 180 NBT a good run. Very good BC and lean mean freaking killing machine!

I'm sure I can do the 200 accubond with no problem, but I'd really like to shoot one of the longer, higher bc bullets. I just don't really want to single feed them

Maybe a little lol I just like to be able to shoot as flat as possible and hit whatever I'm shooting at as hard as possible lol

you can still shoot the 215 Berger Hybrid at 3.56" using RL22 or H1000
What is your barrel length

Nosler has also 210 AB Long Range with BC 0.661.. playing with it now
And a reduced drag factor with BC of .707, never tried
Both of these you can load to 3.56"

You can swap for the 338 Lapua box and have a longer COAL if you have a Mark V.

FYI, if you try a Hammer and your rifle is a Mark V, buy a sample box, load a few without powder and primer, and fill the magazine. Run them through several times. Be very sure that the tip of the bullet doesn't catch on the back of the barrel as you feed them in. I've had poor luck with the regular Hammer Hunters in Mark V rifles when it comes to feeding them. They shoot beyond belief, so it's a good thing I haven't needed to get a quick second shot.
If they ever put a plastic tip on these it would fix the problem, but I don't foresee that based on conversations with Steve.

Running 180TTSX in my 300 Wbys with 7828SSC.

I have used and had great luck with the Nosler 200gr Accubond and 7828. Can't go wrong with it, performs excellent on game and delivers plenty of energy. Just my humble opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.