300 Ultra Mag, 210 Accubond LR, Retumbo

mountaincarver

300 Ultra Mag, 210 Accubond LR, Retumbo

Any one have experience with loading the 300 RUM using 210 LR's with retumbo? I took a guess at it and it didn't work out. I loaded 90 grains retumbo and stuck the bolt. went home and pulled bullets. loaded them back up at 85 grains and stuck the bolt again. Im done trying to put those components together for now. Retumbo is not listed as a tested powder for the 210 LR. Maybe for good reason? I know others who have had their own experiences with this bullet. I would like to learn about what you guys have found shooting this bullet. As of now, this is the first time ive experienced this kind of pressure. I thought I was being conservative but somehow Im way off base.

What is your action?
What is your COAL?

Do you know much about the chambering? Stock Remington?

I would think the 90 grains would be ok but.... I loaded 210 bergers at maximum mag length with no problems with 92 grns. I'm loading the 230 single feed with 89.3 grains of powder. I think my 230 are actually running faster than 210 store bought ABLR's. I just checked my box and they are 2920 ft/sec. I bet the 210 are loaded at 85 to 87 grains....pause.... From looking at the load data that is online they are using RL 25, H1000, and IMR7828SSC. I would drop down to 85 grains and start from there. If you really wanted to be safe start around 83 grains. I know that seems low but every gun is different with different bullet combo's. I also think the BC is way over inflated. I think there are some articles already on the site about that. They are in line with the 210 VLD from berger on the BC is what I understood. Also almost every thread I have read about the ABLR bullets is they were not accurate being driven really hard but with the ideal that they will expand at 1300ft/sec then maybe a 100ft/sec loss at the muzzle is not a deal breaker. Still though 90 grains really does not seem like too much.

Yeah, seems like a reasonable way of thinking Wachsmann. 85 grains stuck the bolt also. gonna run one of the 7828 loads through it to see what it does...... try different lot of retumbo........ I don't know, after the experiences I know of, theres a reason there is a limited powder selection for the bullet in 300 rum. my main objective here is to find out what others have experienced with this bullet, retumbo combo.

I would like to see you check that there is not something else wrong.

I'm concerned that you are jamming the bullet. Did you check the actual max COAL with a gauge? If that is good.

A different lot of Retumbo or Reloader-33 maybe.

Tried 7828 load. same thing. changed bullet, didn't stick but kind of wanted to. tried original load in friends gun and worked fine. ended up needing to polish chamber slightly with scotchbrite. the brass stopped sticking. gun shoots 208s at 3200 with 92 grains. wow. I think I have a speedster. gonna try settling in at about 90 gr and shoot. cant believe how accuate this rifle is. shot gun at 1400 yards (on bench) and hit about a 4 inch group 3 shots. wasn't expecting that! guess ill have to see if I can do it again before getting too exited. seating bullet just over saami, far from lands. anyway, ill get a better feel for it as I load different things. just want to make sure people don't shy away from the LR because of my original post. it will shoot, and in my case, just a little hotter than the 208. The 230 is the one I want to settle in with. thanks for the help.

Mountaincarver. did you end up going back to the Retumbo after polishing your chamber? I am wanting to reload the 210 ABLR as well and am very curious what the go to powder is for this bullet. Nosler says 7828 but their Trophy Grade Ammunition in a 210 ablr didn't shoot worth a darn out of my gun. I was hoping that reloading I could fix that issue as the specs on this bullet are awesome...even if slightly exaggerated. I'm shooting a new Sendero SF II with a snowy mountain brake. It clover leafed cheap 150grain Remington Premiers but when I jumped up to the Nosler box they were all over. 3-5" groups at 100 yards. I was only shooting the cheap Remington for barrel break in. More than anything would like a good starting load for the 210 ablr's and preferred powder from your guys experience.
Thanks!

Mountaincarver. did you end up going back to the Retumbo after polishing your chamber? I am wanting to reload the 210 ABLR as well and am very curious what the go to powder is for this bullet. Nosler says 7828 but their Trophy Grade Ammunition in a 210 ablr didn't shoot worth a darn out of my gun. I was hoping that reloading I could fix that issue as the specs on this bullet are awesome...even if slightly exaggerated. I'm shooting a new Sendero SF II with a snowy mountain brake. It clover leafed cheap 150grain Remington Premiers but when I jumped up to the Nosler box they were all over. 3-5" groups at 100 yards. I was only shooting the cheap Remington for barrel break in. More than anything would like a good starting load for the 210 ablr's and preferred powder from your guys experience.
Thanks!

I did go back to the Retumbo and found that its ok. the sticky problem, I am convinced, was a polish issue and not caused by overpressure. i put a 1.5 inch 4 shot group with 208's on paper at 300 yards. This was with 92 grains of Retumbo out of a 28 inch barrel. I will have to say that i have had some really nice results with 7828 shooting 190s out of a 26 inch barrel 300 RUM. I see that nosler lists this powder as most accurate in 300 RUM 210 lr. I do not have experience in loading the 210 lr with 7828 and grouping out of a 300 RUM but i do have some experience with the 168 lr out of a 7 mag and a little bit of experience with the 210 lr out of the 300 RUM. in regard to your comments above, here is my opinion. if you want to entertain the heavier bullets out of your gun, start with choosing a bullet that a lot of people have had good luck with and load test it to see if your gun will shoot them well. For me, ive had good results with the a max. then go to the LR and see what you can do. I say this because twice now i have started out with the LR and got about the same results as you did. You start thinking powder? Fouled barrel? Scope? Seating depth? i will come back to it and try a few different things, but haven't found the secret recipe yet. also, no doubt in my mind, shooting out to 250 Yd minimum has told the better story about the bullet. I am by all means not an expert here, but this is what my experiences have taught me. good luck, sounds like you've got a nice rifle there.

Thanks Mountaincarver. I'm very excited about the gun and am sure I will find a good load for it. Have had a couple guys tell me that their barrels did not like the Nosler 210 ablr either. I'll have to give the 208 A max's a shot. Three buddies of mine are stuck on the 200 accubonds and it looks like most the guys on this sight are pretty sold on the Berger bullets. Would like to stick with Nosler being from Bend but have a slough of options after browsing these forums.

Just tonight I got the last box on the shelf of the 210ABLR's at Sportmans. Will try and get some loading going on this week. I have shot the ABLR 210's off the shelf loads with ok results. They print about .75MOA at 100yrds. I shoot a braked, bedded, Sendero. After opening the box and looking at the bullets on these things they are long for a 210 bullet. The BT is really long on them. I placed them next to my berger 210's and the 230 OTMs. The are almost as long as the 230's. Will try first loading to max mag length and see if that tightens anything up a little. If not will seat them out futher and see what happen. I believe I read some where someone was getting excellent results at 90ths off the lands. My 230's are 70ths off the lands and shoot great but I am single feeding. I really would like to be racking the bolt on this gun and not single feeding. It may be time for a Wyatt box mag though. I just don't like the ideal of the mag sticking out of the stock.

Just tonight I got the last box on the shelf of the 210ABLR's at Sportmans. Will try and get some loading going on this week. I have shot the ABLR 210's off the shelf loads with ok results. They print about .75MOA at 100yrds. I shoot a braked, bedded, Sendero. After opening the box and looking at the bullets on these things they are long for a 210 bullet. The BT is really long on them. I placed them next to my berger 210's and the 230 OTMs. The are almost as long as the 230's. Will try first loading to max mag length and see if that tightens anything up a little. If not will seat them out futher and see what happen. I believe I read some where someone was getting excellent results at 90ths off the lands. My 230's are 70ths off the lands and shoot great but I am single feeding. I really would like to be racking the bolt on this gun and not single feeding. It may be time for a Wyatt box mag though. I just don't like the ideal of the mag sticking out of the stock.

My Nosler 210s came together at .095 off in my WSM. Wyatt's has non detachable mag boxes available. One that looks just like the rem box the extends the OAL to 3.825" (MBE-3), and a center feed box that goes out to 4.000" (CFE-9). Both will require some mill work for install, but it's not bad. I use the 3.825 version on my 300 RUM and 338 RUM and they work just like a factory box. My 300 runs the 230 hybrids at .100 off at an OAL of 3.815 and feeds through the mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.