300 Ultra Mag, 210 Accubond LR, Retumbo

My Nosler 210s came together at .095 off in my WSM. Wyatt's has non detachable mag boxes available. One that looks just like the rem box the extends the OAL to 3.825" (MBE-3), and a center feed box that goes out to 4.000" (CFE-9). Both will require some mill work for install, but it's not bad. I use the 3.825 version on my 300 RUM and 338 RUM and they work just like a factory box. My 300 runs the 230 hybrids at .100 off at an OAL of 3.815 and feeds through the mag.

I finally got these bullets to shoot. it took me about 75 rounds to figure it out with my gun. I tried free floating, pressure bedding, seating depths, of course powder charges, etc. I did not see better grouping at 300 yards with seating of the bullet. most of my groups were ok, but not what I was looking for. I finally crammed the bullet way down to sammi and tried it. this gave me a positive result, better than what I had been doing. I was shooting about 3200 fps. I decided to try something drastic and lessened the powder charge (retumbo) to a point of shooting at about 2950 fps. im glad I did. it was like flicking a switch. this is the 2nd rifle that I have found very accurate groups by lessening the powder charge instead of trying to shoot at an impressive fast speed. got to love barrel harmonics.

What made me go to the 230's is I was having such a hard time trying to get the 210VLD's to shoot. I gave up and reading some post on the 230's I thought what the heck. I was able to produce good results in about 10 loads. I found a seating depth the rifle liked and then increases the powder charge up to what another shooter had been using. I got .5moa at 200yards. If I can only drive the 210's around 2950 then I probably did not gain anything except having another good load. I do like the ideal of a bullet that will stay together, and mushroom at the slow speed. So with that said, that would be the most gain I probably could expect. Now if Berger made there bullets with a bonding process that would be like the best of both worlds and I would never buy any other bullet brands.:D But still, slanging a 230 grain bullet at anything with good shot placement will cause even a moose to probably fall in his tracks. Lot of lead for any north American deer (elk, deer, moose, goat, antelope, etc) type animal. And if this leaves me wanting more than the next gun will be something like a 338 improved, a 338-378, are something off the 408 cheytac case but maybe in the 375 caliber or just the 408 itself would do. Heck I still want to get my 7mm mag rechamberd to a 7-300Win. I think this is one heck of a combo with out having way to much overbore for cal. I I had this it would probably be my go to gun more than my ultra mag provided it shot just as good.

You know, I agree with you wachsmann. when I finally got those 210s to shoot, I was instantly disappointed when I read the chrony. I started comparing ballistics with what I can do with the 208 or the 230 (which I have just started to entertain the 230), and basically, the slow speed capability is good I guess. bottom line is I was hoping for the accuracy to come in at a faster speed after putting a gun together with a 28 inch barrel and all. anyway, its a good load to put in the tool box. im really interested in starting to work with the 230. would you mind sharing some data? I was thinking of trying about 98 gr of h50 and start shooting. do you think you just got lucky with the load combination with the 230, or do you feel the bullet just shot better than the 210? I feel your pain with trying to get the 210 up to high standards on the paper.

I did go back to the Retumbo and found that its ok. the sticky problem, I am convinced, was a polish issue and not caused by overpressure. i put a 1.5 inch 4 shot group with 208's on paper at 300 yards. This was with 92 grains of Retumbo out of a 28 inch barrel. I will have to say that i have had some really nice results with 7828 shooting 190s out of a 26 inch barrel 300 RUM. I see that nosler lists this powder as most accurate in 300 RUM 210 lr. I do not have experience in loading the 210 lr with 7828 and grouping out of a 300 RUM but i do have some experience with the 168 lr out of a 7 mag and a little bit of experience with the 210 lr out of the 300 RUM. in regard to your comments above, here is my opinion. if you want to entertain the heavier bullets out of your gun, start with choosing a bullet that a lot of people have had good luck with and load test it to see if your gun will shoot them well. For me, ive had good results with the a max. then go to the LR and see what you can do. I say this because twice now i have started out with the LR and got about the same results as you did. You start thinking powder? Fouled barrel? Scope? Seating depth? i will come back to it and try a few different things, but haven't found the secret recipe yet. also, no doubt in my mind, shooting out to 250 Yd minimum has told the better story about the bullet. I am by all means not an expert here, but this is what my experiences have taught me. good luck, sounds like you've got a nice rifle there.

Mountaincarver: what loads you come up w/ for your 7mm w/ the 168 ABLR's? Just finishing up some loads wondering if u have a certain one that worked good for u... [email protected]

I worked up some 230 berger loads in my custom 300 rum. 26" brux barrel gun. I am going off my memory here but pretty sure I ended up with 90.5 grains of H-1000. I also shot retumbo and cannot remember where I left off? Probably 91.5 -92.0. I had the seating depth backed off to relieve psi. This load shot really well in my gun but I didnt care for the muzzle jump not being able to stay in the scope very well. I went back to my trusty 185 berger load of 97.5 h-1000 running 3407 fps. This load is a hammer just the same but doesnt have the muzzle jump so thats where I will leave it. I bought 200 rnds of berger 215's to try out but never have tried them.

I finally got out today to do some shooting. My first load is my single feed load that gave me .5moa at 200. Its 89.3 grains of retumbo, 230 berger, seated to OAL of 3.790 and base to ogive is 3.0945. Measured velocity is average of 2930fps. Next load today was the 210 LRAB with OAL at 3.650, and base to ogive 2.966. Sad thing is I forgot what powder charge I used but I got average speed of 2960. I'm sure it was retumbo just don't know how much. I'm thinking something like 90.5 grains....Next load I pushed those big 230 down to mag length at 3.65 OAL and base to ogive was 2.952. powder was 88 grains of retumbo right from the berger reloading book. Average velocity was 2773. Now here was the kicker. At this seating depth they shoot 3/4 inch group at 160 yards. Not great but not to bad. so I might try and develop this load out to something better. I would also want to try and get it up to at least 2900fps. I think it would of been better because I think I pulled one. I had 3 that stacked right on top of it's self. Some what funny since now I have a small divot in my ar500 steal. All these groups were 5 shot groups. The 210 ABLR was also grouping sub MOA as well. It will need some work as well if it wants to be a contender. Especially in the speed department. I think these bullets should be able to run faster that what they are running and still group well. But right now if I going to burn some powder then its probably going to be on the 230's. Also I am wanting to look at reloaders 33 pushing the 230's. I been hearing great things about it. One other think about these loads, all loads are lit with a federal 215M match primer.

Not sure if your still looking for a load on your 300 rum using the 210 gra in accubond long range but in my Remington 700 I used 91 grains of Reloaded 25 and got excellent groups. Muzzle velocity was 3150 fps and no high pressure. 3.75 c.o.a.l.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.