Accubond LR 210 gr .300 Win Mag

hidesert

I'd like to try working up a load for the Nosler Accubond LR 210 gr in .300 Win Mag for my Ruger No. 1. This would be for elk out to 600 yds. If anyone has experience with this combination I'd appreciate a starting point including a C.O.A.L if possible.

While I don't have direct experience with this particular combination, I do have a bit of experience with Accubond LR bullets, Loading for .300 Win mags and Ruger No1s. I load for 4 of them.

I would first start with using a slow powder like IMR7828, Retumbo or H1000. In this case I would use IMR7828.

I use IMR 7828 and a 180g Berger Classic Hunter in the .300Win Mag I load for.

If you could get a quality magnum primer I would go with Federal GM215M Match primers if you can find them. I use them in my 7mm STW and they helped a lot in shrinking my group size. (CCI250s if you can't)

As far as the COAL, That really depends on the throat of the rifle. Every Ruger No1 is different. The two 7mm Remington Mags I load for are different vintages and have different throat lengths.

The wonderful thing about the Ruger No1 is that being a single shot, you can seat way out if necessary to achieve your greatest accuracy with out worrying about a magazine length. That being said you still need the bullet to be held in the neck. The neck of a .300 Win Mag is only .264" from shoulder to mouth. So there should be plenty of bullet to seat in the neck.

Using a fired case. Size the neck slightly and then seat the bullet in increments, checking the "dummy" by putting in the chamber. Continue to do this until the bullet gets seated by closing the breach. Eject the shell then use it to "set" the die, then set it 1/2-3/4 of a turn more so the bullet doesn't touch the rifling.

This is where I start all of my COALs for Ruger No1s and best accuracy is usually achieved using this method.

Start 5-7% below max book with what ever powder you choose and work up.

Hope this Helps,

Dan

I'd start with this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/ and pay close attention to the recommended twist.

I did read that thread closely and both Nosler and Bryan appear to believe the 1 in 10" twist to be adequate.

BTW, I don't thing stability will be a problem with the .30's. 1:10" twist barrels are common enough in .30 caliber, which 1:10" is proportionally very fast for that caliber so the 190's and 210's will probably be fine in a 1:10".
Thanks again,
-Bryan

I did read that thread closely and both Nosler and Bryan appear to believe the 1 in 10" twist to be adequate.

Yes that is correct, I didn't refer you that thread for the SG but rather so you won't be disappointed with the advertised BC vs tested BC. BTW, Berger recently made their own adjustments; just a few months ago, the twist rate recommendation of the 215 went from 1:10" to 1:9" and also to the of the 230.

Dano1 a very sound advice esp on the COAL and how YMMV.

For 210 LRAB loads in .300 WM, try doing a custom query on the top right hand corner ...

Attachments

• LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg
    LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 197
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.