300 rum

dragman

Just picked up a LNIB Sendero in 300 RUM. It is the 26" fluted barrel now before I start loading for it here is my question. I shoot the 185 berger target hybrids out of my 300WIN and I have a LOT of them since this is a factory barrel and only 26" should I shoot them in the RUM too or go with something heavier like the 215hybrid or the 230 grainers???

ANYONE?? I want to pick a bullet and start loading next week and I am not sure which one I want? max distance is gonna be 1000 yards for this gun.

I have this same rifle that i bought new and sent to centershot rifles for a 3 port muscle brake, epoxy bedding, trigger adjustment, etc and jim mounted my greybull scope on tps rings and base. The rifle shoots 1/2moa to 800yds. I hunted with the 200g accubond last year with great success, but this year im working up loads with the 230g berger otm. The 300rum really shines with the heavier bullets. If you decide on the bergers keep them between 2750-2950 and I think your fine for 900-1200yds on north americas largest of big game ethically (If you and your equipment are capable). Broz's son "young guns" has killed many of animals including elk with the 230g otm out of the 300win with complete pass throughs. I shot this elk at 420y with 200g accu @ 3055 and found the bullet in the hide on off shoulder, I felt it shoulda exited.. Elev was 9000ft. The elk dropped like a bag of hammers (I hit the front shoulder and the spine).

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 73
I just watched a the hunting show called Extreme Outer Limits where they took a 30 cal magnum (not sure which one) to Africa and shot a bunch of game out to 800 plus yards with 185 VLDs. Very very impressive results. You could certainly give your 185s a try.

I have a 300 Rum and have been using 200 gr accubonds in recent years. I am going to give the 230s hybrids a try too. Get some and see if you can get them to shoot. Isn't this a large part of the fun of handloading? Doubt the 215 hybrids would be a poor choice either.

Try them all and report back.

Just picked up a LNIB Sendero in 300 RUM. It is the 26" fluted barrel now before I start loading for it here is my question. I shoot the 185 berger target hybrids out of my 300WIN and I have a LOT of them since this is a factory barrel and only 26" should I shoot them in the RUM too or go with something heavier like the 215hybrid or the 230 grainers???

I have a rifle that sounds like it maybe what you have. ( Sendero 2) I have not shot the Berger 185's but I do have some 185 Lapua's, and they shoot fantastic. They are similar to the highbred bullet as far as profile. I just load them to box length. They shoot extremely well, but they are NOT a hunting bullet. Very thick jacket. I have some targets some where that I shot with those that were shot at about 600 METERS. I believe the groups were somewhere in the 3.5 inch area. ( you do the math) . I was just trying them just to see what they would do. I actually bought them for my .308 700p which I use for target work. They are simply amazing. Anyway, hope this answers your question as to shooting 185's out of your RUM. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. lightbulb 7 STW.

If you are going to use it to hunt elk, I would HIGHLY recommend that you use the heavier bullets especially if you are using Bergers. The RUM has plenty capacity to shoot the heaviest bullets with slow burning powders and your terminal prformance on elk will be much more consistent. Use the 230's........Rich

The 230 Hybrid Target is an excellent choice BUT the 215 Hybrid Target is better ballistically. At the velocities each of these bullets will run at out of a 300RUM, at 1K you will have less drop, more velocity, slightly better energy and wind drift is about the same as the 230.

Tumbleweed....I would agree with that but the point I was trying to make was that thin skinned (target type) bullets WILL blow up at higher velocities. In order for them to be most effective on heavier game such as elk, a lot of mass is required. I'm not saying a 215 isn't a good choice, and as you point out, is a little better "overall" balistically at extreme ranges. My point being, the biggest weakness of a Berger is the ability to penetrate in EVERY instance. The best way to overcome that is a LOT of mass. Therefore, in most cases, I would take the mass over a slight advantage in trajectory. At the distance where expansion becomes a problem with the Berger, the 215 MIGHT be a better option providing velocity is actually higher at that given range. Another way to look at this would be, a Barnes mono uses a different killing principle. They don't require a lot of mass and are often lighter in weight. They can get away with this because penetration is not a problem, but they need expansion also to cause tissue damage. Tissue damage is not an issue with a Berger but causing the damage DEEPER inside the organs sometimes can be. Thus the mass issue IMO.......Rich

Tumbleweed....I would agree with that but the point I was trying to make was that thin skinned (target type) bullets WILL blow up at higher velocities. In order for them to be most effective on heavier game such as elk, a lot of mass is required. I'm not saying a 215 isn't a good choice, and as you point out, is a little better "overall" balistically at extreme ranges. My point being, the biggest weakness of a Berger is the ability to penetrate in EVERY instance. The best way to overcome that is a LOT of mass. Therefore, in most cases, I would take the mass over a slight advantage in trajectory. At the distance where expansion becomes a problem with the Berger, the 215 MIGHT be a better option providing velocity is actually higher at that given range. Another way to look at this would be, a Barnes mono uses a different killing principle. They don't require a lot of mass and are often lighter in weight. They can get away with this because penetration is not a problem, but they need expansion also to cause tissue damage. Tissue damage is not an issue with a Berger but causing the damage DEEPER inside the organs sometimes can be. Thus the mass issue IMO.......Rich

I understand the point you're making. However, I'm one of those guys who has had extremely good experiences with Bergers at 3000-3100 fps on close and long range elk. Never had any penetration issues (lack of adequate penetration). I would not be a bit afraid to put that 215 running 3150fps behind an elk's shoulder at 25 yards.

I understand the point you're making. However, I'm one of those guys who has had extremely good experiences with Bergers at 3000-3100 fps on close and long range elk. Never had any penetration issues (lack of adequate penetration). I would not be a bit afraid to put that 215 running 3150fps behind an elk's shoulder at 25 yards.

I would agree with that! What I might worry about is a 185 Berger "IN" an elks shoulder at 25 yards......Rich

While I agree that the larger Bergers would be my choice, you need to view the show where Extreme Outer Limits goes to Africa. There were some large animals DRT with the 185s.

I just added some higher numbered channels to be able to see PBR and discovered two great outdoor hunting channels. Never heard of EOL till Berger named their 7mm heavy after them.

We live in a great time for LR hunting.

Im working up a new load for a christiansen arms 300 rum using the new 197gn botw vld. they have been using this round for a year now with great results. so far in my development have had great groups using 92.5 gr of h1000 and a fed 215 primer. its pushing it at 3058fps and my es is 7 with an sd of 4. Im waiting for a new scope to come in then i can get some longrange data collected but at 100 yds its shooting sub moa.

Ps and on the EOL show in africa they were using the 30-378 and the 300 rum both shooting the 185 berger vld, which is what I have been shooting in my 300wm for the last 2 years, I have nothing bad to say about this bullet, It has performed flawlessly on several big game animals up to and including elk. all were one shot kills and only one animal did not drop in its tracks, that was a mule deer at 609 and it took 10 steps then fell over.

I have a switch barrel Remy that I shoot the 300 RUM. and I have a couple of loads using the 200 grain Hybrid Berger at 2988 that is a .05 moa affair and I also have a load using a Bob Cautarucio 211.3 grain VLD that I actually have 3 different loads using 3 different powders and CCI 250 primers from 3000-3150 fps all from a 26" hunting weight magnum barrel and all shoot under .5moa. I will be using this rifle this year in Montana for Elk and Deer and my shots will be from 100-600 yrds. I'll tell you what this caliber flat out shoots but mine doesn't like the 185 berger Hybrids go figure ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts