300 rum

geauxtigers

I just got thru testing my 300 RUM load with the 190 grain berger bullets. I am shooting 93.5 grains of retumbo. I have a 27 inch shilen select match and got an average velocity of 2888. Does this seem right. I figured it would be higher. Anyway just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems a little low to me too. I am going to bump it it up to 95 grains and see how it shoots. Ii has only got about 50 shots or so down the tube. I am looking to at least get 3000. What would maybe cause it to be slow?

Taylor

What is the elevation where your shooting at? If you're a lowlander like me, your velocities will be lower.

Yes I am at a low elevation in central ga. I just thought I would get more speed than that. I am going to try 95 grains. Just hope my groups hold up. I am going to try 95, 95.5 and 96. Hopefully I will get my speeds up. I also have a vais brake on the gun but that should not affect velocity should it.

Want 97 grains be over capacity. Should I shoot a compressed load. I am more about accuracy than speed but would like my moa to go down.

geauxtigers,

With a moniker like geauxtigers, what's that 300 used for? Self Defense????:)

Be cautious, some barrels are just slow. For example Lilja's are tight bored and usually slower. Thus pressures are higher for similar powder charge weights in other barrels.

BTW, when I lived in LA. I bought a motor home from a major LSU fan. It had an LSU spare tire cover. Didn't recognize the significance until I make several trips to Atlanta. Got some severe hand signals/signs while passing through MS, AL, and GA.:D:D

Thanks for all of the help. I am shooting the shillen and maybe it is like you said. It might just be slow. I am going to try up to about 96 and see how it goes. I am very happy with the way it is shooting now but just want a little more speed. And Roy I live in Atlanta so I know about all the hand signals. LOL. Thanks for all of your help.

Taylor

Went to shoot today and got much better velocities with 96.5 grains of retumbo. was able to get 3231 today. That is up from 2888 at 93.5 grains.

Taylor

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.