300 rum

bobh918

Got a custom 300 ultra that I am getting ready to reload for. I was curious what would be a better powder or what is preferred by you ultra shooters, retumbo or H1000? I currently have a couple pounds of H1000 and have no problem going out and getting retumbo if that would be a better choice. Was going to load for 210 bergers or 200 accubonds whichever shoots better. I was just looking for a little feedback before I spend everyday looking for the combo that the rifle likes. Any info to help me cut down on the "perfect combo" phase is greatly appreciated. Waiting to get the rifle bedded, so I got a little time. Will post pics and specs when it is complete. Thanks in advance!!

Bobby

Here's the load that shots best in my 11 twist Broughton 5C bbl.

101.1 gr Hodgdon US869 under the 210 VLD and a 215M primer. I shoot just under .5moa @ 300yds pretty regularly. Velocity is a shade short of 3,200 ft/sec and the pressure is lower than just about any other powder.

I have had best results with RL25,about a week ago I shot 5 200 gr accubonds into 3/4 inch and had 3 duplicates in velocity out of 5 and the other 2 were within 5 fps. The velocity was running 3120. I just ditched H1000 due to the fact that lately from lot to lot in has been extremely eratic.

My go to load has been RL 25 AND 200 Accubond but as of late 94 grains of retumbo and 200 accubonds has been more consistent. 27" Lilja 10 twist.

Thanks for the responses fellow ultra guys! Seems like mixed responses. At least it looks like two powders as opposed to five or six. I will just have to give'em a whirl. The rifle is a rem 700 action trued with a 30" kreiger HV taper braked. Like I mentioned before, will get pics when I get it into the stock. Thanks again!!

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.