300 RUM or 338 RUM for 1000m hunting

Hi Bruce

I can NOT find the 700 PSS 338 LM anywhere on remingtons website! sounds like a cool rifle.
Also there is a Remington m24a3 SWS i 338 LM, can that be bought by cevilians? and where?

Cheers,

Master Diver

Master Diver...

Seems:
I remember reading some on a PSS in.338 LM,
on this site.
And perhaps some photo's and stuff on Sniper Hide Forums...
I'm on my way out the door to have a pint,
...or two.
Will look about tomorrow.
...and let you know.

Bruce

Over the 08 hunting season I was able to see 14 animals taken using the Sierra SMK and the Berger VLD. Distance ranged from 300-972 yards.
With several hundred animals taken each year one gets to really find out which bullets really work when it comes to clean efficient kills. Both of the above bullets are my last choice while they shoot excellent they are not hunting bullets.

It seems the remington 700 police in .338 L comes with a factory installed muzzle break, I plan to mount a suppressor/silencer system on the rifle and think the magnaport might be in the way!
Maybe 300 RUM is better with a normal 26" barrel for a suppressor/silencer job?
What rail and rings is of highest quality for a 700 Police?

Cheers,

Master Diver

Thanks for the information on the Police .338 LM.

The TRG-42 shoots very well, this is a 200m group with 275 grn Swift A-Frames and next to it a group with 250 Nosler Partition. NOT bad at all. I never shot the rifle at longer distances at the range. BUT did shoot amimals at 350m i Africa. I sold the rifle!:( and plan tpo get another rig - maybe a CheyTac M310 R in .408 CheyTac.

Cheers,

Master Diver

TRG200mseries.jpg

Over the 08 hunting season I was able to see 14 animals taken using the Sierra SMK and the Berger VLD. Distance ranged from 300-972 yards.
With several hundred animals taken each year one gets to really find out which bullets really work when it comes to clean efficient kills. Both of the above bullets are my last choice while they shoot excellent they are not hunting bullets.

Seirra agrees with you.

Berger does not.

My last bullet buy consisted of a large amount of Berger 210 VLD...in blaze orange boxes. Each box had a note inside .....Berger saying that their match bullets are also "GREAT FOR HUNTING"..

It's good to know, after all of these years....that I finaly have Bergers Blessing!!:D:D Now I don't feel so ashamed.;)

The 300 SMK is excelent in the big 338's for hunting IMHO since 10 shot groups are not needed just the first one in the kill zone

You got me there. As long as you know WHICH shot will be "the first one in the kill zone".

Lets say you have a kick butt setup. You shoot a few 5 shot groups at 500 yards for practice. The tendancy is 4 shots in a nice little 2-3 inch cluster, but one unexplained flyer.....your load technique and set up is killer. Your shooting technique is awsome. You thought all the shots broke cleanly. Yet, you get that one shot that opens up your groups to 6-7 inches.

Do you have a 1/2 moa rifle?

Do you have a TRUE long range set up?

Is that rifle capable of shooting game animals at FOUR DIGIT ranges? After all.....80 % of the rounds arrived on time and on target (air force lingo).

But..... 20 % of your shots were off the mark.

EXACTLY which shot was that?

EXACTLY when will it happen again? Will it be the next shot out of the gun....third shot.....when will it happen again??

I know that you don't shoot game animals at LR with 5 or 10 shot groups. I get that. BUT....you do assess the capabilaties of you gun, loads, shooting abillaty.....everything......shooting groups AT DISTANCE. If it is a skinny BBL gun, shoot 3 shot groups. Just more of them.

Accuracy can only be assesed by shooting groups, IMO.

You and I seem to butt heads allot lately. I AM NOT looking for more.

The .338 is an awsome big game caliber. I am just saying that there are some new LR bullets comming, which should improve accuracy potential simply by giving youg gun more choices to find "THE LOAD". And, ACCURACY NUTS are extatic about it.

I would think that anyone who considers himself a "LR hunter" would be an "accuracy nut". Am I wrong? Mayby I am at the wrong place when I want to talk about LR accuracy !!! It seems to me that the DEFINITION of "LR HUNTING" is a clean 1 shot kill at xxxx distance. You fill in the x's to suit your abilaties.

If I am out of place here, then you guys let me know.

I see your BR tendencies are showing, as a LRH I am not interested in 5 Shot groups. I have never shot 5 shot at an animal. What I am interested in is "PUTTING THE FIRST SHOT IN THE KILL ZONE". The 300 SMK does this with boring regularity for me out of my 338 Lapua.

I never shoot more than 3 shot group and they hit well with-in the kill zone with boring regularity.

Just before hunting season I shot 1 shot at 600 yards and my steel 12" circle steel plate, then 2 days latter I shot 1 more shot at the same target and then 1 week latter I shot 1 more round at the same target and all 3 shots were with-in 2". That is all that I am concerned about is frist round hits in the kill zone.

I practice the same way at 1K and beyound. First round hits in the kill zone is all that should matter to the LRH.

I see your BR tendencies are showing, as a LRH I am not interested in 5 Shot groups. I have never shot 5 shot at an animal. What I am interested in is "PUTTING THE FIRST SHOT IN THE KILL ZONE". The 300 SMK does this with boring regularity for me out of my 338 Lapua.

I never shoot more than 3 shot group and they hit well with-in the kill zone with boring regularity.

Just before hunting season I shot 1 shot at 600 yards and my steel 12" circle steel plate, then 2 days latter I shot 1 more shot at the same target and then 1 week latter I shot 1 more round at the same target and all 3 shots were with-in 2". That is all that I am concerned about is frist round hits in the kill zone.

I practice the same way at 1K and beyound. First round hits in the kill zone is all that should matter to the LRH.

First.....you DO shoot groups...just 3 shot groups. Thats great.

Second.....It sounds like you do actualy have a true LR setup, and know how to use it......I'll bet you got there by shooting groups. Once you are where you are, I will admit that groups are just waisted time and money....EXCEPT FOR GETTING YOUR ZERO.

Third.... and MORE importantly...you take it to the next level.....You KNOW where you COLD gun hits on the first shot.....somthing that you obviously practice a bunch....GOOD ON YOU. I think that this is one of the most important factors in any LR setup. When I finalize my zero I wait 1/2 hour between shots in the group so I have a cold bore zero.

Forth....my Benchrest career is just 6 months old....PURE ROOKIE. My LR hunting career is more than 25 YEARS old.

My question to you is....Hornady, Berger, Lapua...ect are comming out with new LR .338 bullets.......are you going to try them? I know you have a GREAT setup, but it sounds like the BC on some of these pills will be SICK, from what I have gathered.

Aren't you just a little curious about these new bullets??

I think that we are all chasing the same "Holy Grail" Higher BC bullets is the name of the game. Anything better is Iceing on the cake IMHO. We all winn when better long range bullets come along

High BC - Holy Grail I like it :D
Please note that you can get a super high BC BUT you need a super steep twist rate to stabilize these bullets LOOK:

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

You need a 1:8" twist or greater to really stabilize this 295 grn SP match bullet from GSC.
The BC is 1.132 at 2850 fps calculated using the McCoy method

Cheers,

Master Diver

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.