.300 RUM muzzle break???

First time I shot my .300 Rum on a bench The scope hit me in the face. Boy did that hurt! I moved the scope forward but am definitely going to get a muzzle break before I try shooting off the bench again. I had it on sandbags and not a bipod, and I'm not sure If that would make a difference or not. Standing up and shooting I never had the problem and the kick really isn't that bad. But on a bench I think it's a must.

Regardless of what the brake advertisements may say, ALL brakes are loud! If that is not a limiting factor, then all brakes are not created equal. The best brakes at reducing recoil are the baffle style of brake,(ie; Holland, Muscle, Painkiller, etc.). The least effective are the ones with just holes around the outside (ie. Vais, Weatherby, etc.) And surprisingly enough, up to a point, the lighter a gun is, the more effective a brake will be. Porting is a waste of time. So, there is my opinion for what it is worth. Good luck with your decision.

Jim

Let me start by saying I really don't like braked rifles and recoil doesn't bother me very much. Maybe I'm punchy to begin with; who knows.

With that said, I decided to put brakes on my 300 RUM and 338 RUM. No - not to reduce recoil per say but to avoid the scope from coming sooo close to my eye brow during recoil. Even though I was never hit by the scope I did notice some very close encounters. Rather than wait until the inevitable crescent scarring over my eye I had an APS PainKiller (PK) brake put on the 300 RUM.

In the 300 RUM I shoot the 210gr bullets at 3,200 ft/sec. Recoil with the brake installed is considerably reduced. Something I noticed when shooting my (unbraked) .308 win was that it recoiled MORE than the 300 RUM with the PK brake. The PK works so well that I put another one on my 338 RUM.

The blast is a bit annoying but I feel that I'd rather deal with the blast than an eventual crack in the head from one of my Leupold scopes that has the thinnest metal edges imaginable - just like a cookie cutter.:D Why in the world would Leupold keep building scopes this way????????

By all means put a break on it, you will find it is a well spent 200 bucks or so. The break will reduce the recoil enough that you may not lose a sight picture after you touch er off and you may even be able to see the trace. This will help you to become a more accurate shooter. One tip, buy yourself a good set of electronic ear muffs, they will protect your hearing from the high noise level. You may also find that with electronic muffs you may have to wear earplugs as well. You should be wearing hearing protection even if you are shooting a little old 308 let alone a big braked magnum. The guys that bad mouth brakes are entitled to their opinions, and you know what they say about opinions, there like A##H@#!s everybodys got one. Just be sure when hunting or when you are shooting that you pre warn people without hearing protection about the extreme high defining noise level. Everything will be fine then, there will be no worries and all problems solved in regards as to why you should not use a break.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

First time I shot my .300 Rum on a bench The scope hit me in the face. Boy did that hurt! I moved the scope forward but am definitely going to get a muzzle break before I try shooting off the bench again. I had it on sandbags and not a bipod, and I'm not sure If that would make a difference or not. Standing up and shooting I never had the problem and the kick really isn't that bad. But on a bench I think it's a must.

No flame at all intended here, but I have never been scoped by my 300 RUM on the bench or in the field, with no muzzle break. If your scope has adequate eye relief and you are shouldering and shooting properly. it shouldn't be a factor.

A lot of guys like their brakes and a lot of guys don't like brakes. To each his own.... good shooting :)

I was told by a gunsmith this weekend that he can put a muzzle brake on a .300 RUM and make it feel like a .25-06 when you shoot it. This seems kind of hard to believe, but I am no expert. I have never shot the RUM, so I have no comprehension on how much recoil it actually has. I hear it is a real kicker. Could a muzzle brake make this much of a difference? Maybe in conjunction with a good recoil pad?

Knappy
The 300 rum has 58 lbs recoil with a 165 gr . Now jump up to a 225 gr and so does the recoil but it's all manageable it your not afraid of it but if your one the flinch. ITS NOT FOR YOU. YOU WILL NOT HIT YOUR TAGGART OR END UP WITH A VERY BAD SCOPE RING THE DOC WITH HAVE TO FIX .

I have a 300rum with a holland brake , It made a big difference, 210berger 92grs retumbo , now i can see my bullets hit . A few friend's fired my rifle . Now they all have brakes . I don't mind recoil just depends on what u use ur rifle for . But u will need hearing protection.
cheers

Guns are loud! Always use hearing protection.

I have a 300 Weatherby Mag with the Weatherby Monte Carlo stock and handload 200 grain TSX bullets to the Max, no muzzle break. With a good stock and recoil pad, no need for a muzzle brake. I also have a Rem Sendero in 2506. I still prefer to shoot the 300. Proper stock and fit is important for high recoiling rifles. A poor stock fit and you will remember the pain.
And just to add in the what you're saying the stock material makes a world a difference. Synthetic will absorb some of that recall and flex a little bit whereas wood doesn't and laminate definitely doesn't. So synthetic stock you don't feel the recoil quite as much