Muzzle break or suppressor ?

GetReel

I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical (24” sendero profile, crap stock, 6.5 Creed). I have an extra Timney trigger I’m gonna put in and swap the stock. But I picked this up for the sole purpose to shoot the hell out of it and build up along the way. The barrel is already threaded.
I know the 6.5 creed don’t have much recoil but I want to get better at following through the shot and watching impacts. So that leads me to my question, Is that easier with a good break or a suppressor? (I have several suppressors currently and a break off a Christensen ELR)

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
I picked up a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical (24” sendero profile, crap stock, 6.5 Creed). I have an extra Timney trigger I’m gonna put in and swap the stock. But I picked this up for the sole purpose to shoot the hell out of it and build up along the way. The barrel is already threaded.
I know the 6.5 creed don’t have much recoil but I want to get better at following through the shot and watching impacts. So that leads me to my question, Is that easier with a good break or a suppressor? (I have several suppressors currently and a break off a Christensen ELR)
A muzzle brake is more effective in recoil reduction than a suppressor.

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
So do you know much about the Christensen Arms break? Or what’s the best one out there?
Yes, I am familiar with CA MBs, radials (not a fan) and side port version. Because yours is already threaded, I would go with self-timing muzzle brakes like the following ...
The ones that are bolded are the ones I own and very please with them. I cannot speak for which one is the best but I have http://www.bugholes.com/product-p/bug-brake-6.5mm.htm on my 6.5 CM and is very effective.

BUG-BRAKE-6.5MM-2T.jpg
but because it is the same thread and clearance, I can also use a 4-port beast brake off my .264 WM

4-port beast brake 1 of 2.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck!

rammac

Brakes are the best at reducing recoil. Anybody that thinks a suppressor is better has either never compared the two or they never used a real brake.

Axl

Most breaks will reduce recoil better than a suppressor. Here is a comparison of different brakes, with a TBAC also included in the 6mm data.

HuntnPack

LRH Team Member
Try testing both options, if threads are same, and decide which YOU prefer.
What dok7mm said.

Brakes typically reduce felt recoil Better.

In this case this 6.5 Creedmoor rifle may not have a stiff recoil impulse? I could spot hits easily with mine unbraked.

The concussive blast & Loud noise effect of a brake can effect the shooter follow through adversely. Anticipating blast.
flinching, jerking Trigger pull, closing eyes, loosing sight picture briefly, etc.

You may experience better “Shot Follow through” & “Spotting of Impacts” by using your suppressor As they don’t add The
Concussion/Noise effect to the shooter.
While still adding some level of recoil reduction.

Try em both & let us know Your experience.

ETA: There are other Shooter technique skills & Equipment Design & function items to consider in regards to Follow thru & spotting impacts.

Last edited:

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce