.300 RUM Build

KyleG33

Hey guys
I am new to long range hunting and would like to bounce a few things off of you guys. I am in the process of finishing a .300RUM build and will be starting on a .300 WSM soon after. So, hears what i have so far....

.300 RUM Remington 700 stainless
Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50mm with talley rings
Boyds laminate thumbhole stock

I just dropped the gun off to get a bedding job and muzzle brake installed. I went with the Terminator T3 muzzle brake because it looked like it does the job based on the youtube videos. I will post pictures once I get it back to see what yall think.

Now heres my issue....I don't have a press and I am still debating if that is something I want to try tackle. I am looking for someone that would be interested in cooking up some loads for my gun? Or someone you all could refer me to? I will be using this gun mainly for whitetail deer. I would like to be able to reach as far as my shooting skills will allow. I have shot plenty over the past year from 650yds in and will push out further once I have the opportunity.

2nd.. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the custom dial system leupold offers? I was thinking about ordering a custom dial from them once I get the round I will be using. Thanks in advance for your responses and Gob Bless.

Where are you located? Saying you hunt whitetails probably means not near AZ unless you mean Coues Whitetails. I have everything for .300RUM reloading, as I have a semi-custom myself. I shoot the 210 HVLD and 215 Hybrids out of mine, right at 3100fps.

3 shots @ 100 yards

3 shots @ 327 yards

You will probably have a hard time finding someone who will reload for you on the Internet. Lots of variables to consider. Best to load for yourself or have a trusted friend help you load.

I kinda agree with predator 22 on this, however if you did give your general location maybe someone close would be so kind as to mentor you...both reloading and LR shooting. It could be a good way to make new friends. I help new shooters from time to time, but usually after they see what all is involved they have a slight change of heart. You get out what you put in, both time and money.

The hammer bullets recommendation isn't a bad idea either if you got the money and don't have the time to invest, facilities to reload or range available to test those loads. Or if you are just plain timid to do it, I load for a couple of guys who are scared they will blow their faces off.:D so they have me do it, what are friends for?
You could have them get you going and then invest in the equipment to take over from there.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the T3. I have a 300 rum that is semi custom and used to wear a t3(now has a brake for my suppressor). As far as having someone load for you, I don't think that would be a great idea. You would get the most potential out of the gun if you do it yourself. You might want to ask your smith if they will develop a load for you. My 300 rum loves to shoot everything that I have put through it so far, so hopefully you don't have a hard time finding a load that works.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.