300 RUM and 176gr A-Tips?

Tagging in, I have a box of those and was considering the same thing. Retumbo, H1000. Hope you don't mind. Maybe someone could run QL. Thanks
I ran 92.5gr h1000 behind them today with a .48 5 shot group. But no idea of velocity, need to buy a chrony. Set to mag length 3.67 coal. Have a bunch of retumbo that I would rather use.

I ran 92.5gr h1000 behind them today with a .48 5 shot group. But no idea of velocity, need to buy a chrony. Set to mag length 3.67 coal. Have a bunch of retumbo that I would rather use.
My Lyman book has min. 96 and max. 101 for Retumbo and 180gr bullet. Rem pri. 24" barrel. 92.5 H1000 should be around 3000 fps with 26". I use the Sporter V3 crony. Retumbo should get the 176 close to 3300, just be careful. 😎

My Lyman book has min. 96 and max. 101 for Retumbo and 180gr bullet. Rem pri. 24" barrel. 92.5 H1000 should be around 3000 fps with 26". I use the Sporter V3 crony. Retumbo should get the 176 close to 3300, just be careful. 😎
Hornady max charge for 180s in my book is 94.2 with retumbo. I tried that today right after the .48 and it literally shot a 4 inch group. I just loaded 5 at 97g with retumbo. I'll shoot tomorrow weather permitted and post back

Hornady max charge for 180s in my book is 94.2 with retumbo. I tried that today right after the .48 and it literally shot a 4 inch group. I just loaded 5 at 97g with retumbo. I'll shoot tomorrow weather permitted and post back
Stay with the Hornady, my Lyman is the 49th addition. And Retumbo powder to me has changed over the years. The new stuff seems a little hotter. 94.2 to 95 has been my limit the last couple years. Please be careful. 👍🙄

Stay with the Hornady, my Lyman is the 49th addition. And Retumbo powder to me has changed over the years. The new stuff seems a little hotter. 94.2 to 95 has been my limit the last couple years. Please be careful. 👍🙄
Will do. I'll load a couple working up to that 97 before I go tomorrow to be safe. Friend of mine shoots 98g in his with 180s but I know every rifle is different.

Are you planning on using these for hunting, and if so, for what size game? I shot a Shiras moose with 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a 300 WM, and it was not pretty. I suspect the results of a 176 gr A-Tip out of a 300 RUM would be worse.

Are you planning on using these for hunting, and if so, for what size game? I shot a Shiras moose with 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips out of a 300 WM, and it was not pretty. I suspect the results of a 176 gr A-Tip out of a 300 RUM would be worse.
I live in north carolina, so it will be mainly used for whitetail, depending on performance,an elk in the near future. I know it's controversial but I shoot high shoulder on everything. I probably haven't tracked a deer in 10 years or better. I shot a deer this week with a 325gr aluminum tipped pitman from a custom smokeless muzzleloader at 3000fps, and it was extremely violent. So if the A tips work the same I will be pleased.

I live in north carolina, so it will be mainly used for whitetail, depending on performance,an elk in the near future. I know it's controversial but I shoot high shoulder on everything. I probably haven't tracked a deer in 10 years or better. I shot a deer this week with a 325gr aluminum tipped pitman from a custom smokeless muzzleloader at 3000fps, and it was extremely violent. So if the A tips work the same I will be pleased.
I have no doubt that combo works well on high shoulder shots on deer but it wouldn't be my first choice on a quartered to or quartered away bull at close range.

BTW - I bet your muzzleloader has some recoil.

I have no doubt that combo works well on high shoulder shots on deer but it wouldn't be my first choice on a quartered to or quartered away bull at close range.

BTW - I bet your muzzleloader has some recoil.
Friend of mine shot a bull at 980yds with a 33XC and A tips and it was devastating. It was a perfect broadside high shoulder shot though. And that muzzleloader is actually very pleasant to shoot believe it or not, it does have a PVA 4 port brake on it, much less recoil than my wife's
.270 win. That thing straight slaps the **** out of you. She insists on no brake and shoots it very well so I just leave it alone.

Worked up to the 97 grains today with zero signs of pressure. Still no load im happy with yet. Going to load up in .5 increments till I find something or hit pressure

Worked up to the 97 grains today with zero signs of pressure. Still no load im happy with yet. Going to load up in .5 increments till I find something or hit pressure
Keep trying, Retumbo has always worked for me. On the bottle of Retumbo it shows 100gr ??? Not happy with speed or group.

Keep trying, Retumbo has always worked for me. On the bottle of Retumbo it shows 100gr ??? Not happy with speed or group.
Well I figured out 90% of the problem just now. Scope has slid over 1/4 inch. Thanks to vortex low tourq spec. That's my fault for not catching it sooner though