300 RUM 220 smk and retumbo?

happylilcuss

I need to know where to start. I searched and it looks like anything from 88-95g for the 210's but there isnt much info on the 220 smk for the 300 RUM. Thanks for any help. And sarcasm is also appreciated.

Happy, I'm looking at Sierra's fifth edition and for the 220 SMK with Retumbo, they state 78.0 as minimum, to 89.5 max. Hope this helps.

That seems about right, cause my max load for 210's is 94gr of Retumbo and my max load for the 240's is 86gr of Retumbo. So the 220 are probably around 90gr max load.

Thanks guys. Thats about what I figured. I think I will start with a load of 83 and go from there. There just isnt much real world data on the 220. I figured I might as well give them a try.

Well, I took out the old girl today with some test loads. I started at 87.5g just touching the lands. I went up in half grain increments up to 90.5g. The best node was at 88g- 88.5g both shot under .3" groups. I am pleased to say the least. I didnt bring the chrono as I was just wanting to see how these grouped. Next I will play with the seating depth and take the chrony out and see how consistent this loads gonna be.

To say I have finally found my load is a real relief. I have been beating my head against a wall with H1000, RL25, and 210 bergers. I guess my stick doesnt like any of those combos.

That's good news. Keep us posted with your results and velocities. I've always wondered about that combo as well, glad to hear some good feedback on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.