300 PRC

Im not much for jumping on the new cartridge bandwagon kinda guy but I did with the 300 prc on my last build and I regret it. I had issues with the case web area not getting sized enough with my 300 prc. Problem was worse with ADG brass than with the hornady. No help from hornady to resolve the issue. So instead of getting custom dies made to fix it. I had it punched out to a 30SM. Got new dies from Rich and have been good ever since.
If I could do it all over again I would just gone with the tried and true 300win. Have a couple buddies with 300 wins and on average they are a touch faster than my 300PRC as well . (I might have a slow barrel tho.)
I would agree with you except for I think you ended up
With the best of both. The 30 SM.
I couldn't justify getting a PRC because my win mag was so good but the Sherman puts it well in the ballpark of worth it.

I couldn't justify getting a PRC because my win mag was so good but the Sherman puts it well in the ballpark of worth it.
It's a 300PRC +P basically an Ackleyized 300 PRC. I agree it's a decent improvement tho. One that equals or exceeds the 300NM. Also one that is worthy of running the 250s very well.

I'm diving into a prc this year Being built now It will replace my 300wm for the time being I'm curious on what it will offer over the 300wm But I'll travel that road when it's done That's half the fun of it

That being said, I've run 300wm for a long long time up to now

I actually also believe that the 300 PRC will cause the Win mag to fade. It is similar to the win mag but its lower cost to manufacture having no belt and its also an inherently more accurate cartridge design, again no belt. It slightly edges out the 300 WM and is designed around shooting heavy for caliber bullets. 300PRC factory rifles are fitted with barrels that are twisted to shoot the heavies so again, a tick in the column for the 300 PRC. There really is no reason to keep the 300WM around anymore other than there are 10's of thousands of rifles in existence chambered for it.

Branches of the US military phasing out their 300WM rifles in favor of 300 PRC helps too.
you seem to have some wm facts wrong. the case design does not make it less accurate. it does quite well.
i think the prc will win in the end but think the case volume puts it in a diff class..i may build one...maybe

26" Mesa LR. 82.3gr n570 3.7 coal. Tmb tuner
the math does not seem right , i could be wrong. only 26" and a lot of bullet weight. velocity is pressure dependent...seems like a real math issue..as in if true pressure is way high.

I was just thinking about first round hits today. I think that is the true measure of a LR marksman. Anybody can dilly dally until they hit. Good on you!
yes but hit what ?? what is the target size at 1000......
hitting a 3 or 4 moa plate at a 1000 aint that hard

It's solid information. I believe Berger said they hit 2860 if I remember correctly. Not sure why mine is faster. ADG brass, 3rd firing, fed 215's. Yes, it's on the hot side but no weird flyers and it tracked perfectly to 1000 with my Kessler. Used a v-3 chrono. Not great for brass life but solid for a hunting load. Doesn't really matter if you believe it or not, I'm just sharing for anyone on the fence between a win mag or a prc that this is what I have experienced.

Last edited:
Hello all
I was wondering who has experience with the 300 PRC. What are your thoughts and opinions about it? Is it a better option than a 300 win mag for hunting and shooting longer distances? Do you think it will be a cartridge that will stay long term or is it just another fad that will fade out and be hell to find ammo for?
does anyone have the case volume of hornady and adg cases in 300 prc thanks

My 300PRC build. Kelbly Atlas Tactical action with a 28" Krieger heavy Palma barrel. Woox Furiosa chassis, and a Leupold Mark5 HD 7-35 PR2-MOA scope. Fantastic rig and it's shooting .2 moa groups currently. Pushing 220 grain nosler bullet 3000 FPS, could definitely push it harder if I wanted.View attachment 305328
This is almost my dream set up, I'd just want a Proof Research or IBI carbon barrel