300 PRC testing

yorke-1

I recently picked up a Seekins Havak PH2 in 300 PRC as a bit of an impulse buy. I haven't bought a new factory built rifle in nearly 15 years, so this purchase even surprised me. My only real issue with the PH2 is that Seekins uses a 1:10" twist barrel. That wasn't enough of an issue to deter me from buying the rifle though. For the $1500 I paid for the gun, I could put a new barrel on there and still be money ahead compared to building a comparable rifle.

I plan on playing with bullets in the 200-215gr range as well as some lighter monometal bullets. I'm starting to work on loads now that I have about 100 rounds through the barrel while breaking it in and forming brass. I thought I'd post up some of my results just in case somebody else can find the information useful. I'm starting with the 208gr ELDm, just because I have a few hundred of them to work with. I'll add other bullets as I have time to try them. I'm not chasing velocity, just good accuracy and velocities appropriate for a case this size within a specific bullet weight range from a 26" barrel. I'm happy with 200-215gr bullets in the 3000 fps range.

All of these loads will use the same specs, except for powder charges:
- Lapua 300 PRC brass (fireformed to this chamber)
- Fed 215m primers
- Hornady 208 ELDm
- OAL 3.720"

These velocities were all taken with a Magneto Speed chronograph. The conditions were 39° and raining while testing. This particular rifle doesn't shoot well with the Magneto attached, so I didn't pay much attention to group size. All powder charges were hand weighed. None of the charges listed showed any signs of pressure in my gun. Bolt lift was the same from the lowest charge to the highest with each powder and the primers don't show any signs of flattening.

Reloader 33
91.0gr- 3026 fps
91.7gr- 3000 fps
92.5gr- 3056 fps
93.2gr- 3058 fps
93.9gr- 3103 fps
94.6gr- 3143 fps
95.3gr- 3139 fps
96.0gr- 3190 fps

Reloader 26
77.0gr- 2875 fps
77.7gr- 2863 fps
78.4gr- 2923 fps
79.1gr- 2960 fps
79.8gr- 2972 fps
80.5gr- 3025 fps
81.2gr- 3065 fps

H1000

78.0gr- 2799 fps
78.7gr- 2820 fps
79.4gr- 2851 fps
80.1gr- 2909 fps
80.8gr- 2951 fps
81.5gr- 2966 fps
82.2gr- 2961 fps

I was really surprised by the velocity with RL 33. This isn't a powder I've seen or heard much about in the 300 PRC, but I'll work with it a little more. I'd be thrilled if I can get good accuracy and over 3100 fps with a 208gr bullet. The velocity increases were a little erratic at the low end but became more consistent as the charges increased. I've seen this with RL 33 in the past too. It just seems to perform better at near max levels. I only have 3 pounds of RL 33 on hand, so I may not spend too much time burning components if I can just find a load that will shoot reasonably well (for a factory rifle).

RL 26 showed the same erratic velocity increases as RL 33 at the low end and became more consistent as charges increased. It looks like there's a bit of a flat spot around 2960 fps, which is where I expected to see a node. I'll try a few loads with charges up around 83.0gr and see if I can hit a higher node as well as shooting for groups at around 79.5gr. I would love for RL 26 to work in this gun since I have almost a full keg on my shelf. I haven't had any luck with this powder in any other chambering, so I'd love to find a use for it.

H1000 was the most predictable powder I tested. The velocity increases were the most consistent with a pretty clear node around 2960 fps. This powder also showed the best group with the Magneto attached, but that really doesn't mean anything. I have enough H1000 to last a while if that is the best powder, so that wouldn't be a big issue.

I have a Havak PH2 in 300prc. I couldn't get the 225's to group at any velocity. I do have a 300 RUM 1/10 that loves the 225 so I don't think it is the twist rate. Anyway, I ended up loading 208 Amax's with RE26 at around 3000'. It has been a super accurate combo!

I'm a little surprised by the powder charges I'm using with RL 26 and H1000 to reach these velocities. The velocities themselves are right where I'd expect them to be from this rifle, I'm just burning more powder than I expected to reach those velocities. I'm beginning to wonder if this barrel has a slightly oversized bore. I don't think that's a good thing or a bad thing, just a possible explanation for why I'm using higher powder charges than I was expecting.

I'm really happy with the rifle so far. The action has smoothed out a lot after cycling the bolt a few hundred times. The stock has a good feel and balance, and I really like the bottom metal. I wish I could buy just the Seekins bottom metal used on the PH2. I have two ARC Nucleus actions that can't take BDL bottom metal and I'd love a light weight, flush fitting DBM with a good OAL to use on those.

Be curious to see continued exploration of rl33 in this case. Never even considered it even though n570 is a no brainer

Quick question, are you using Neck Bushing died, if so which bushing are you running?
Or a FL sizing die?

RL26 had been the most consistent with better velocities, RL33 might do better with heavier bullets. But with the light bullets H1000 worked better for me

I recently picked up a Seekins Havak PH2 in 300 PRC as a bit of an impulse buy. I haven't bought a new factory built rifle in nearly 15 years, so this purchase even surprised me. My only real issue with the PH2 is that Seekins uses a 1:10" twist barrel. That wasn't enough of an issue to deter me from buying the rifle though. For the $1500 I paid for the gun, I could put a new barrel on there and still be money ahead compared to building a comparable rifle.

I plan on playing with bullets in the 200-215gr range as well as some lighter monometal bullets. I'm starting to work on loads now that I have about 100 rounds through the barrel while breaking it in and forming brass. I thought I'd post up some of my results just in case somebody else can find the information useful. I'm starting with the 208gr ELDm, just because I have a few hundred of them to work with. I'll add other bullets as I have time to try them. I'm not chasing velocity, just good accuracy and velocities appropriate for a case this size within a specific bullet weight range from a 26" barrel. I'm happy with 200-215gr bullets in the 3000 fps range.

- Fed 215m primers
- Hornady 208 ELDm
- OAL 3.720"

These velocities were all taken with a Magneto Speed chronograph. The conditions were 39° and raining while testing. This particular rifle doesn't shoot well with the Magneto attached, so I didn't pay much attention to group size. All powder charges were hand weighed. None of the charges listed showed any signs of pressure in my gun. Bolt lift was the same from the lowest charge to the highest with each powder and the primers don't show any signs of flattening.

Reloader 33
91.0gr- 3026 fps
91.7gr- 3000 fps
92.5gr- 3056 fps
93.2gr- 3058 fps
93.9gr- 3103 fps
94.6gr- 3143 fps
95.3gr- 3139 fps
96.0gr- 3190 fps

Reloader 26
77.0gr- 2875 fps
77.7gr- 2863 fps
78.4gr- 2923 fps
79.1gr- 2960 fps
79.8gr- 2972 fps
80.5gr- 3025 fps
81.2gr- 3065 fps

H1000
78.0gr- 2799 fps
78.7gr- 2820 fps
79.4gr- 2851 fps
80.1gr- 2909 fps
80.8gr- 2951 fps
81.5gr- 2966 fps
82.2gr- 2961 fps

I was really surprised by the velocity with RL 33. This isn't a powder I've seen or heard much about in the 300 PRC, but I'll work with it a little more. I'd be thrilled if I can get good accuracy and over 3100 fps with a 208gr bullet. The velocity increases were a little erratic at the low end but became more consistent as the charges increased. I've seen this with RL 33 in the past too. It just seems to perform better at near max levels. I only have 3 pounds of RL 33 on hand, so I may not spend too much time burning components if I can just find a load that will shoot reasonably well (for a factory rifle).

RL 26 showed the same erratic velocity increases as RL 33 at the low end and became more consistent as charges increased. It looks like there's a bit of a flat spot around 2960 fps, which is where I expected to see a node. I'll try a few loads with charges up around 83.0gr and see if I can hit a higher node as well as shooting for groups at around 79.5gr. I would love for RL 26 to work in this gun since I have almost a full keg on my shelf. I haven't had any luck with this powder in any other chambering, so I'd love to find a use for it.

H1000 was the most predictable powder I tested. The velocity increases were the most consistent with a pretty clear node around 2960 fps. This powder also showed the best group with the Magneto attached, but that really doesn't mean anything. I have enough H1000 to last a while if that is the best powder, so that wouldn't be a big issue.
Those are big charges.
My .30 Sherman which is the improved does 81gr rl26.
I'm to Curious why you see that. Mainly cause I'm seeing the same thing in a lapua improved. Same chamber in two rilfes one takes a several gr more powder to get to where it needs to be than the other.

Last edited:

- Fed 215m primers
- Hornady 208 ELDm
- OAL 3.720"

Reloader 33
91.0gr- 3026 fps
91.7gr- 3000 fps
92.5gr- 3056 fps
93.2gr- 3058 fps
93.9gr- 3103 fps
94.6gr- 3143 fps
95.3gr- 3139 fps
96.0gr- 3190 fps

Reloader 26
77.0gr- 2875 fps
77.7gr- 2863 fps
78.4gr- 2923 fps
79.1gr- 2960 fps
79.8gr- 2972 fps
80.5gr- 3025 fps
81.2gr- 3065 fps

H1000
78.0gr- 2799 fps
78.7gr- 2820 fps
79.4gr- 2851 fps
80.1gr- 2909 fps
80.8gr- 2951 fps
81.5gr- 2966 fps
82.2gr- 2961 fps

Can you please confirm your R33 load data, as Im having trouble seeing how you're getting 96.0grs of R33 and a bullet in a case ?

Last edited:
Can you please confirm your R33 load data because please as Im having trouble seeing how you're getting 96.0grs of R33 and a bullet in a case ?
I was also wondering that. Rl33 takes up some space. I was assuming a drop tube and lots of crunching. The rl26 load is way over book max and more than most are doing in the 30 Sherman. Either the chamber is way over sized or maybe the scale needs to be checked just to be safe. But like I said my brothers lapua is the same way I would never believe it unless I watched load work being done and I saw nothing wrong with his load.

Like I said, the charges surprised me too. I calibrate my scale and verify it with a check weight before every load session. I loaded ammunition for 2 other rifles using known loads on the same day, and those performed exactly as I would expect. I don't think it's a issue with my scale.

I do use a 6" drop tube for all of my loads and the 96.0gr RL 33charge is slightly compressed. It's not enough to feel when seating the bullet, but it's definitely a lightly compressed charge. I'm not hearing crunching or significant resistance when seating bullets though. I don't plan on pushing the RL 33 load any higher just because the velocity is so far above the norm. I a 300 RUM if I really want to chase velocity.

I used a charge of 76.0gr of RL 26 and the same 208gr ELDm bullet while breaking in the barrel, and I was getting about 2760 fps. I chose my RL 26 charges posted here based on what I saw with those initial loads.

I'm leaning towards a slightly oversized bore in this barrel. I've had this before with different barrels chambered with the same reamer, by the same smith. One would pressure out at a lower powder charge but similar velocity and the other would require slightly more powder to hit the same velocity.

I'm planning on doing a workup with my PRC in the next few months (need powders). Question how many rounds did you load and shoot for each step of powder change?

I'd bet your over pressure with those loads with RL33. What's your barrel length? And as far as fire forming , what dies are you using ? What capacity is your once fired versus resized brass?

I 6 " dropped tubed RL25 and N570 into new Hornady 300 PRC brass today and got right at 94 grs of either powder into a case .
That RL33 is getting it done with the 208 gr-er . I'm gonna get and try some I'm mine .

Recent Posts